Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Will 2gb RAM really help in Ubuntu? - 12-18-2008, 01:09 AM

I've been good with 1gb ram in Ubuntu for more than two months. Yesterday I installed songbird 1.0 and noticed that it lagged, in a very much annoying way. I'm wondering will an upgrade to 2gb ram help in my case?

And another absolutely beginners talk -- will 2gb help other applications, for example, firefox?

(#2) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Will 2gb RAM really help in Ubuntu? - 12-18-2008, 04:48 PM

It's kind of a judgement call, really... What I'd recommend is taking a look at System -> Administration -> System Monitor -> Resources tab.

The middle section tracks memory usage. When your machine is lagging, fire off this program and inspect your memory. Take a look at the maroon track for used RAM (it's on the left-hand side of the dialog). If it's pegged, you could benefit from more physical RAM. If not, there tweaks to the OS that you can make to affect how it allocates and apportions RAM.

I don't have any of these tweaks handy (haven't really had cause to use them), but Google should be useful in tracking them down. See my current memory state in the attached screenshot.

Unused RAM is wasted money - do yourself a favor and inspect what your machine is doing with what it's already got before turning your disposable income over to a computer parts store!

Attached Images
File Type: png sysmon-memory.png (41.6 KB, 30 views)

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0

« Might GRUB be able to boot SD Card? | Installed 8.10 now fn-F2 doesn't work »