Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default How to mount an ISO as your Disc Drive for games that require the CD? - 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

First off I'm running ubuntu 9.10 and I'm trying to play 'Ys The Oath in Felghana' which is a windows game. I'm using wine. The game loads up fine, BUT it requires that you have the DVD inserted to play it. The netbooks don't have any kind DVD ROM drive so that creates a problem.

I've made an ISO image of the DVD and I can mount the image just fine.
(sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop Ys_Oath.iso /media/cdrom0)

BUT when I start the game it still wants me to insert the game disc. I've tried mounting it to:

I used those locations because it looked like those were the defaults for ubuntu, and those folders were already created in /media.

Is there a different default location that ubuntu 9.10 uses for your disc drives? Or is there a way to point it to wherever i mount the ISO?

Thanks for any feedback
  (#2) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM

I searched Google for "wine cdrom". This thread at eeeuser looks promising.

Also, when temporarily mounting .iso files, I like to use something like "fuseiso -p /tmp/iso_folder iso_file.iso". You'll need to install "fuseiso", "sudo apt-get install fuseiso" should do it. FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) mounting doesn't require "sudo" and the command I gave will automatically create the directory and automatically remove it when the iso is unmounted ("fusermount -u /tmp/iso_folder"). So, it's more convenient for temporary .iso mounting.

Finally, just so you're aware, copy protection schemes can use data stored on a disc outside of the "ISO" area. So, a simple .iso can fail on copy-protected games, unless your mounter can spoof the copy-protection. Linux .iso mounting lacks copy-protection spoofing.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 10:02 PM

What about a no-cd patch? Doesnt require a cd, no mounting required

Sharing is Caring!
  (#4) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks Reflex that's what I needed. I guess I just need to become more familiar with wine.

After getting the game to quit nagging for the DVD, it actually loads very slowly and has graphic problems, so thats' the next thing I'll be trying to figure out =\

Thanks Dude245, I found one patch so that the game wont' require the DVD but I couldn't get it to run. I think it needed an older version of windows. I'm not sure what the problem was but it wouldnt' do a thing for me. Are you playing Ys The Oath in Felghana too? ^^

« can't get Evolution to fit on my screen | mini9 wireless in monitor mode »