Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default mini 10v driver question STA and B43-fwcutter - 12-11-2009, 12:34 AM

I just recently installed ubuntu 9.10 NBR on my mini 10v. My mini 10v came with the standard 1397 wifi card that they all shipped with unless you chose to upgrade to the 1505.

My wifi is working fine for all normal purposes after I installed and activated the proprietary STA drivers (Broadcom STA wireless driver) for it through the System > Admin > Hardware Drivers option.

I was trying to use kismet and it said that it cannot use this wifi card with this driver.

I read that others have used the B43-fwcutter (Broadcom B43 wireless driver) and that kismet worked fine.

So I disabled my STA driver, rebooted, installed and activated the B43 driver but I don't have any wifi support at all now. iwconfig shows that I don't have a wifi device present.

I want to get ubuntu to recognize this driver, and then hopefully I can try kismet again too.

Any suggestions?
  (#2) Old
Default 12-11-2009, 02:22 AM

I have a couple questions/tips, which I hope will be helpful.

Is the b43 module loaded? Does "grep b43 /proc/modules" show anything?

If not loaded, is the b43 module blacklisted? Examine the blacklist(s) under "/etc/modprobe.d/".

If loaded, try checking the logs for relevant info. "dmesg | grep b43"

Does the b43 driver actually support your WiFi card? Look here.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the reply reflex.

Apparently the mini 10v's 1397 card uses the BCM 4315 chipset which is NOT yet supported by the B43 driver. Perhaps it will be supported in the future.

Right now I'm looking at two other cards to replace it with but I'm not sure which one to buy. The gigabyte gn-wi07ht, or an Atheros. But apparently that Atheros card doesn't seem to work in OSX.

Edit: The gigabyte card is a mini, but I need a half mini card for the dell mini 10v so that won't work either. :S

Any suggestions for a card that I can use monitor and injection mode with AND works in OSX too?

« Ubuntu no longer offered on Minis | Linux quasi-noob asking for quick advice! »