Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Mini9 WiFi Performance - 11-26-2009, 11:10 PM

I'm experiencing some issues with poor WiFi performance, basically 11Mbps is the max connection I can ever get even when sitting 50cm from the access point. My access point is in forced 802.11g mode, the card supports 54MBps G mode but max data rate is around 750KBytes/sec. Connections dont seem that stable with a 700MB file copy failing typically 50% of the way through (its a long copy at 700KBytes/sec - 1000 seconds!!)

Is anyone else experiencing such issues???? or have any ideas how to get higher data rates.

Dell Mini9 2GB RAM, BIOS A05, 16GB STEC
Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 (Karmic)
Stock WiFi card with Broadcom Proprietary STA driver
Access point Siemens Gigaset SE587

Output from " sudo lshw -C network" gives

description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4312 802.11b/g
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth3
version: 01
serial: 00:23:08:49:b4:bb
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion= ip= latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE
  (#2) Old
Default 11-27-2009, 10:14 AM

Good luck with trying to sort out your WIFI on Ubuntu.

My Mini 9, an Outlet model, came with Ubuntu and I tried everything I knew for 2 months to get theWIFI to work properly - persistent dropouts were a real pain. Eventually I wiped the Ubuntu and installed XP - the problems disappeared immediately.

I am now running a WIN7/XP dual boot and WIFI is problem-free on each. I never really got to the source of the problem with Ubuntu - I hope you have better results than me.

(#3) Old
Default 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
...My access point is in forced 802.11g mode, the card supports 54MBps G mode but max data rate is around 750KBytes/sec....
First, I want to make sure you realize that 802.11g is 54Mbits/s (= 6.4MBytes/s), but even that number is wildly optimistic. Wikipedia lists a more typical throughput of 19Mbps (2.3MBytes/s), which is still on the high end. My G speeds are usually 1.x MBytes/s. Slow for transferring files, but adequate for Internet browsing.

But your connection sounds slower and less reliable than mine (I'm using the same Linux driver version). The first thing to test is another device. Can you get better speeds or a more reliable connection with a different laptop? Or a different wireless card?

Can you get better speeds with a different router (like at a friend's house)?

Another potential problem is interference. What channels are your neighbors' routers on? I'd use "iwlist eth3 scan" in a terminal to check. You should get a list of nearby routers and info about them. Change your router's channel to something far away from others.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old
Default 11-29-2009, 11:06 PM

Sorry it should have been 54mbps, a typo on the b/B. Anything would be better than the poor 11mbps, it often drops to 5mpbs or lower and I'm only about 2m from the access point. My other dell & iphone work fine with it so its definatly a Mini9/Ubuntu issue.

The odd thing is that I used iwconfig to force the data rate to 54mbps and whilst it shows that in the stats the throughput is still that of when the rate was 11mpbs, very poor, still about 750KBytes/sec max even 10cm from the AP so its not a power/interference issue.

Guess its plug in with a cable when anything needs copying.

« ubuntu 8.10 or 8.04 | Password issue after reinstalling Ubuntu »