Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Send a message via ICQ to niw_uk1964 Send a message via MSN to niw_uk1964
Default Suspend and hibernate on Mini 9 is broken - 11-01-2009, 11:53 AM

I've upgraded from 9.04 UNR to 9.10 UNR. Previously automatic and manual suspend and hibernation worked. Now it doesn't. It's utterly broken.

Using suspend or hibernate the screen dims and then turns off, but will not resume at all. Previously the power led would blink in suspend mode and turn off altogether in hibernate mode, now in either mode the power led stays on.

Any ideas about how to resolve this?

I have that many probs I may roll back to 9.04.

2 cylinders is enough, but 3 is a fine compromise
www.twpdracing.com
www.twpd.co.uk
Dell Mini-9, Runcore 32GB ssd, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 11-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Do you have a SD card inserted? Try unmounting it prior to sleep.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM

I got a 9 through Outlet that when I got came up boot error. While waiting for my bigger SSD I installed the latest Ubuntu NB remix and it wouldn't hibernate. It would just blank the screen and then come right back to the shutdown(exit?) screen.
I didn't trouble shoot it all though being I got a 32GB SSD and W7.
It is still installed on the original SSD, so I could easily revert.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#4) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM

I have the same problem, as do many according to the ubuntu forums. I installed 9.10 on 11/1 and I still haven't found a fix. I've tried every setting in power management. I can either have the mini on all the time with the screen going blank when closed, I can have everything freeze needing a hard reboot, or I can shut it down. That's it.
  (#5) Old

Default 11-06-2009, 05:57 AM

This was my fix:

Edit /usr/sbin/pm-suspend ( ie. sudo gedit /usr/sbin/pm-suspend)

add this line to the beginning

umount <where your card is mounted> (ie. umount /media/mySD)

this worked for me ... good luck

jason
  (#6) Old

Default 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM

An update that I did this morning through update manager seems to have resolved the issue of suspend not working with an SD card mounted.

<edit: never mind, had the lock switch turned on. Its still broken-- however the above fix works well.>
  (#7) Old

Default Clean Install - Hibernate Broken - 11-08-2009, 05:06 PM

I installed UNR 9.10 from usb stick prepped with unetbootin. Install went fine; wireless broken at first. Used ethernet cable, updated sources, installed bcmwl-kernel-sources and wifi was up. All updates applied, no customizations. Disk was parted by UNR installer in default config 15GB ext4 and 700MB swap.

I have 2GB of memory and everything works except hibernate. Suspend works fine with and without a SD card. Hibernate fails the same way with and without a SD card. It shuts off audio and wireless, then the screen goes out with the power LED still lit. It sits for a few seconds and then the screen comes back with the system frozen. Press and hold power switch to shut off. Cold restart and the system is fine. Tried same tests again without SD card in at boot with the same results.

On the positive side, UNR 9.10 is so fast that I can live without hibernate. It will be nice to get it back (it worked perfect in 9.04). Hope some of this info will help someone researching this.?.

Lee

Black 2GB Memory, 16GB SSD, BT, 1.3 WebCam, Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#8) Old
Guru

Default 11-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeosenton View Post
I installed UNR 9.10 from usb stick prepped with unetbootin. Install went fine; wireless broken at first. Used ethernet cable, updated sources, installed bcmwl-kernel-sources and wifi was up. All updates applied, no customizations. Disk was parted by UNR installer in default config 15GB ext4 and 700MB swap.

I have 2GB of memory and everything works except hibernate. Suspend works fine with and without a SD card. Hibernate fails the same way with and without a SD card. It shuts off audio and wireless, then the screen goes out with the power LED still lit. It sits for a few seconds and then the screen comes back with the system frozen. Press and hold power switch to shut off. Cold restart and the system is fine. Tried same tests again without SD card in at boot with the same results.

On the positive side, UNR 9.10 is so fast that I can live without hibernate. It will be nice to get it back (it worked perfect in 9.04). Hope some of this info will help someone researching this.?.

Lee
How big was your swap file compared to RAM on 9.04? 'Cause hibernate on Linux generally relies on a large swap file.

(#9) Old

Question Swap Recommendation? - 11-09-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
How big was your swap file compared to RAM on 9.04? 'Cause hibernate on Linux generally relies on a large swap file.
I think it was about the same (I probably used the default). What should it be? I recall reading that some people killed their swap partitions after upgrading to 2GB. When the system hibernates, are the contents of memory written to the swap partition or saved somewhere on the system partition? I can shrink my system partition and expand the swap, but I hate giving up the space. I get by with 16GB if I watch what I do and don't want to pay for a larger SSD. I guess I could buy a large SD card and move /home to it.

Oh yeah, I guess my testing effort was flawed. Seems I was not allowing enough time. The screen would briefly go out and when it came back on the mouse and keyboard did not work. I waited a bit, decided it was frozen, so I would press and hold the power switch until it shut off. Talk about feeling simple, I just tried it again and it works fine if you let it sit long enough to fully hibernate (takes more than a minute and does not respond to any input during that time).

Lee

Black 2GB Memory, 16GB SSD, BT, 1.3 WebCam, Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#10) Old
Guru

Default 11-09-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeosenton View Post
I think it was about the same (I probably used the default). What should it be? I recall reading that some people killed their swap partitions after upgrading to 2GB. When the system hibernates, are the contents of memory written to the swap partition or saved somewhere on the system partition? I can shrink my system partition and expand the swap, but I hate giving up the space. I get by with 16GB if I watch what I do and don't want to pay for a larger SSD. I guess I could buy a large SD card and move /home to it.

Oh yeah, I guess my testing effort was flawed. Seems I was not allowing enough time. The screen would briefly go out and when it came back on the mouse and keyboard did not work. I waited a bit, decided it was frozen, so I would press and hold the power switch until it shut off. Talk about feeling simple, I just tried it again and it works fine if you let it sit long enough to fully hibernate (takes more than a minute and does not respond to any input during that time).

Lee
I believe Linux generally uses swap to store hibernation data. So, your swap space needs to be sufficient. Unfortunately, the only way to determine the exact size of "sufficient" is by trial and error. If you have too much RAM in use, hibernation will fail.

But take my comments with a grain of salt, I never use swap and I never use hibernation.

I am glad that it worked for you with a little patience. The need for patience is one of the reasons I don't use hibernation.

Tags
hibernate, suspend

« Dell Mini 9 Ubuntu Restore iso image | 10.10 netbook remix wireless driver fail »