Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default wireless WEP connection not completing in UBUNTU - 09-14-2009, 12:06 AM

I have two UBUNTU dell mini 9s that out of the box connected to my wireless network just fine. Put in the security key and they had no problems.

But I purchased a third mini 9 and doesn't connect. It detects the wireless network by name, asks me for the security key, then never connects (the same network the other two connect to just fine). The circle icon just keeps circling, then it asks me for the key again.

I connected this mini 9 to the internet via a hardwired connection, and installed the outstanding updates (I had updated the others as well) thinking that might solve the problem but it still is not connecting wirelessly.

This netbook has BIOS A04.

Can someone help? I've tried looking through other posts on this in the forum and am not finding anything that solves this problem. I booted up the other two ubuntu mini 9s and they have no problem making a wireless connection. These are all Dell mini 9s, ordered from the outlet, (though I think this one was reconditioned and the others were previously ordered new) Why is this one different?
  (#2) Old
Default 09-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Can the problematic Mini connect to unencrypted networks? Does the wireless work if you boot off a Live CD/USB?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 09-29-2009, 02:33 PM

i'm having the same problem and dell won't offer any tech support! i just got a vostros a90 and was on the phone between 5 different reps all transferring me to someone else because they couldn't help and was finally told to call ubuntu! i still can't connect to wifi but i can connect when hardwired in. Anyone know how to fix this?
  (#4) Old
Default 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM

This appears to be the same problem I had with my 10v, and if it is then it may be an Ubuntu network driver problem. I started using wicd instead, as in this post:
and since then I've had no problems connecting. Although connecting at N speeds is still intermittent, but that may be a physical network card problem.
  (#5) Old
Default 10-23-2009, 01:39 AM

I've decided to run OS X and everything works fine now! thanks =)

Vostro A90 | 16gb Super Talent HD | 2gb Ram | OS X 10.6.1 | BIOS Version A03 | NBI 0.8.3 RC2 | ClickToFlash | MDD Extended Life Battery

« Missing tabs in Software Sources panel | mini 9 and windows xp »