Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10, Is there a wireless keyboard key switch utility? - 09-13-2009, 03:35 PM

I've been troubleshooting the below problem in both puppy linux and mint 7 linux for about 2 weeks.
I solved it. See this post:
I realized that changing the function keys in BIOS to "function" instead of "media" disables wireless completely in linux.
This wireless keyboard button doesn't seem to work under linux.
The battery and bright/dim keys work in mint 7.
Does ubuntu for Dell, or ubuntu network remix have a utility for the wireless key?
The reason I'm asking, I really don't need the keyboard switch working in linux, I just need to know if I can accidentally shut down wireless while surfing or using the wireless network?

mini 10 - black, 1.6ghz, tv tuner, hd screen, multiboot-> win xp | MX-14.2 | debian 6.03 | slitaz_rolling | crunchbang 11
zaurus sl-C3100 multiboot-> zubuntu rc1.0 | angstrom opie 2007.12-r18 | cacko 1.23
zaurus sl-C3200 pdaxii13-5.5-alpha4 akita on nand
  (#2) Old
Default 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM

There is no standard utility in Linux for turning of the wireless radio. Dell provide one for the mini-9 and mini-10v that still mostly works with Dellbuntu, but not with any other current linux release. I updated the packaging and code so that it works with Ubuntu intrepid and jaunty. You can find the updated version in my Ubuntu personal package archive here. Dell still hasn't incorporated my changes upstream, unfortunately.

« Any guide for step-by-step Ubuntu install on Mini 10/10v with XP/7 ? | Dell Selling Computers With Ubuntu--Good Idea? »