Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default updates to ubuntu with dell mini - 08-25-2009, 01:51 AM

My mini crashed after trying to install the updates because it completely filled the computer. After trying for hours to fix it, I called Dell and they are going to fix it for me by removing it and reinstalling it for me since I don't have the external drive needed to reinstall. They said that once I get it back that I should not ever do any updates. Is that okay to run it without updates? I really only use it to take when I travel to receive e-mail and use the internet. Any comments would be appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-25-2009, 02:29 AM

It isn't necessarily a problem if you never update (obviously aside from some big security patch or something -- which doesn't really happen).

Check out these two posts below, especially the response by Reflex on: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/ubun...-4gb-mini.html

Here are my suggestions to take at your own risk:

1. I'm not certain on the size of Dell's stock Ubuntu install, but if it is larger, a fresh install of 9.04 will leave you with 2.x GB (assuming you are using the stock 4GB since you are having space issues). 2GB of space is plenty even if you installed every update possible for quite some time. Regardless, go through and remove programs you don't use (check synaptic and add/remove in the menu).

Note: The stock install of Ubuntu will likely run better than 9.04 for system intensive tasks (such as video) since it is optimized for the hardware, but you shouldn't notice for regular web use.

2. Pick and choose what to update (but continue to do so), do as Reflex suggested removing as you find out about unused programs during updates all while making sure you are good on space.

3. Get a cheap SD card, size of your own choosing, and use it as a second hdd to store all files. (Only have on your internal SSD your OS/Installed Programs)
  (#3) Old
Default 08-25-2009, 02:38 AM

I'd want to at least get security updates. Look under: "Main Menu" > "System" > "Admin" > "Software Sources", then on the "Updates" tab only check "security".

To save space after installing updates, set "Synaptic" to delete downloaded package files after installation (in the prefs. dialog).

Also, uninstall some programs, if you don't use 'em. OpenOffice and Acrobat Reader are huge.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old
Default 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks you so much for your advice. Dell has the computer now and hopefully it will come back like new! Then I will only do security updates to save space.
  (#5) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Whenever you perform updates or install/disinstall packages from the net the .deb files get stored in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Even if you uninstall packages they remain there for future access.

after some time the space beeing used in the cace gets immense, can be some gigabyte.

if ssd gets full its a good idea to delete all cached .deb files by the following command from shell:

sudo apt-get clean
Its no problem to do that, particularly if you have a good internetconnection.

« Dell Mini 9 and UNR, any way to get the graphics card fully working? | app to underclock my Mini 9? »