Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Kernel recompiled for 4gb - 11-24-2008, 04:12 PM

I have recompiled the Dell kernel with the 4gb memory option which should allow Ubuntu to recognize more than 833mb of RAM. I haven't been able to actually test this on an M9 yet since mine is in "Pre-Production" :-( However, I did borrow a M9 Ubuntu restore DVD from a friend and manage to restore it to a VMWare workstation Virtual Machine. On the VM, it showed 833mb even though I had given it 1024mb ram. After booting my custom kernel it recognized the full 1024mb and should have no problem recognizing 2gb.

I of course take no responsibility should the kernel fail or screw up your mini. Important! My current kernel replaces Dell's kernel image instead of working alongside. If anyone know's more about .deb/dpkg and can help me give mine a custom version that would allow it to be installed alongside the official I'd appreciate the help (sorry, I come from the land of RPM). For now, it should be possible to just run update-manager and "upgrade" back to the Dell kernel but proceed at your own risk!

The files are posted at:

More details about what I did:

Intel Core 2 Quad based system (I have no idea if the lpia arch will run properly on an AMD Athlon, not even sure Core 2 is supported but it seems to work ok)
VMWare Workstation 6.5, custom VM with:
OS Choice: Ubuntu
Memory: 1gb (or 2gb if your host has enough RAM)
Virtual Disk Type: IDE (I am guessing that Dell's Ubuntu install won't like SCSI very much)
Size: 4gb is enough to compile the kernel though it's tight, you might want more
CD-Rom: either insert your Dell Restore CD or make an .iso image of it and use that

After booting from CD and running through the restore, you should boot into the Dell customized Mini OS. The Dell Mini hardware differs from the VMWare emulated so you'll have no network connectivity but that can quickly be solved by running: "sudo modprobe pcnet32" and then configuring the wired network under System -> Administration -> Network.

Now I used the instructions at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

cd /usr/src
sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot build-essential makedumpfile
sudo apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)
apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)
vim linux-2.6.24/debian/binary-custom.d/lpia/config.lpia (on CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y change the n to a y and the line below it to be CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y)
cd linux-2.6.24
AUTOBUILD=1 NOEXTRAS=1 fakeroot debian/rules custom-binary-lpia

That's it, your own kernel build .deb files should now be in /usr/src/. Install them and reboot and you should see the full 1 or 2gb!

(#2) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Dell Kernel recompiled for 4gb - 11-25-2008, 12:10 AM

sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot build-essential makedumpfile

the first line didn't work, it said it could not find the package 'makedumpfile'. I know its copied from the ubuntu page, very confusing how that slipped through.

Anyway I omitted 'makedumpfile' and its currently creating the .deb ...

edit - gonna start again with a fresh intrebid install.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Screen Dim w/install from Dell Restore ISO | Mini Ubuntu Bluetooth Futzing with My Mac's BT? »