Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Why does it seems like no other wm works? - 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM

I'm not much for interface clutter and get annoyed by the memory leaks in gnome-panel etc. pretty quick. I installed openbox and awesomewm and have been using them to the exclusion of gnome, but I've found that only gnome works properly?

For example, even though I have gnome-power-manager running in openbox the sleep functionality only works rarely. Sometimes I have to do sudo pm-suspend to get it to turn off. But 9 times out of 10 no matter how it went to sleep, it freezes while in the process of waking back up (unless I'm running gnome!). Also even tho I run gnome-volume-manager it seems like my flash drive is unmounted at any random time? Even though I never remove it? And though I run NetworkManager nm-applet doesn't have any options for wireless connections.

Has anyone been able to get the mini to work properly without using gnome? What am I missing? I must be doing something wrong.
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to zmjjmz Send a message via MSN to zmjjmz
Default Re: Why does it seems like no other wm works? - 11-25-2008, 01:56 AM

While I don't know what your issue is, I've gotten my only GNOME components on my Mini down to gnome-power-manager and nm-applet, both running in trayer managed by XMonad.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Why does it seems like no other wm works? - 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM

If you're using the Dell supplied packages then it's possible your running into some bugs that no one else is experiencing because few (if any) others are using a WM other than Gnome supplied by Dell. You might try doing a fresh install of Generic Ubuntu i386 and see if that helps or, if you're concerned about performance and batter life, use Ubuntu UNR.

« OK, serious wireless craziness going on. | New Ubuntu Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Mic. Problems »