Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Strange touchpad acceleration behavior with Dell Mini 9 - 07-01-2009, 04:07 PM

[Note: I previously posted this on ubuntuforums, but I'm also posting it here because I'm not getting much help there.]

I have a Dell Mini 9 running Ubunbtu Jaunty (9.04), and I'm having some issues with the acceleration behavior of the touchpad.

What works: When I move my finger slowly, the cursor also moves slowly. When I move a little faster, the cursor accelerates; that is, moving the same physical distance on the touchpad results in the cursor moving farther.

What doesn't work: When I move my finger very quickly, instead of accelerating even more, the cursor moves more slowly. (By "very quickly", I mean I move my mouse across the entire touchpad in maybe .5 sec.)
I can't say for sure, but seems like I'm moving too fast for the touchpad is to register. I don't think it's a hardware problem, since acceleration behaves as expected in Windows XP.

As a result of all of this, I find it really annoying to use the touchpad -- this is especially salient because I've been using a new Macbook Pro where the touchpad moves the cursor exactly where I want it to go without me having to think about it.

I tried installing the gsynaptics package and playing with the max speed, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-01-2009, 04:34 PM

I've found that playing with balancing the speed and acceleration settings in the standard mouse setup (not gsynaptic) will usually give me the results I am looking for. It's just a matter of finding the best balance between the two. I generally set my speed all the way down and my acceleration up about 25% from the lowest setting.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
  (#3) Old
Default 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM

I'll try that out when I'm back by my Mini again, but I strongly suspect that this won't fix the issue -- the problem is not that the cursor speed maxes out; it's that it actually slows down the faster I go.

For example, if I move my finger all the way across the touchpad at medium speed, the cursor moves about 3/4 of the width of the screen. But if I move my finger at high speed, the cursor will only move 1/8 of the screen.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-04-2009, 03:00 AM

I've had some what I thought was some strange touch pad behavior with my Mini 9. So I appreciate the tips given here. I've changed the mouse settings and the problems seem to be gone. So far so good.

« Bluetooth Dell Travel Mouse Woes | Reinstalling Ubuntu »