Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default For those that wish to upgrade to SSD - 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Hello,

I have two Duo's in front of me, one for a staff member and one for me

Now, before I go into the nitty gritty in another post, I have the following

1 x Crucial C300 64Gb
1 x Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2C1

Ok, I've fitted the Crucial and THERE IS noticable bend to the front right AND the screen no longer fits flush. Not a recommended upgrade at all. Straight exchane with the standard low proifle HD with metcal caddy.

On the other hand, the Intel is absolutely perfect. Why?
Intel 34nm X25-M Gen 2 SSD Performance Update - HotHardware

Do you see the black plastic on top of the drive? Remove the screws and that pops off... the Intel is EXACTLY the same size as the stock hard drive, which means you can use the standard meta caddy with zero buldge

Here are performance figures and battery figures (Albeit 160Gb Intel instead of the 64Gb)
Compare X25-M MLC Solid State Drive - 160GB - Serial ATA/300 - Serial ATA - Internal, RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Good luck and have fun with this machine. I feel that the reviewers really didn't want to like it.
  (#2) Old

Default 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Interesting results and I must say corroborated by a friend of mine who universally uses the Intel drives because of the significantly better performance.

That said, the price would make anyones eyes water!

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Indeed.
Super good info...but I'll wait for the price to drop...significantly.

The problem is I got spoiled really fast on the size of the HD. -up to now the largest internal mobile HD I've ever had is maybe...60GB?
My Mini 9 I upgraded at great cost to a 32GB SSD and I thought that was pretty cool. LOL

120/160 is cool, and good storage, but I REALLY like 320.
I could see combining this upgrade with other mods in the future perhaps.

Definitely great info. Thank you!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#4) Old

Default 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
The problem is I got spoiled really fast on the size of the HD.
Let's ditch these paddles and get a motor, because were in the same boat!

Great Info btw, I always wondered what the purpose those black plastic covers were there for.

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery
  (#5) Old

Default 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Anybody know of a cheaper alternative to the Intel one that fits nicely out of interest?

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#6) Old

Default 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM

If I'm understanding this correctly, the Dell Inspiron Duo has the low-profile 2.5 inch SATA II hard drive which has a height of 7mm. On a related note, the Samsung NF310 has a 7mm 2.5 inch hd as well, and I read on the Samsung forum how one user tried to upgrade the Samsung internal hd to an OCZ Agility 2 SSD and it pushed against the keyboard after the upgrade which was unacceptable. He removed the OCZ ssd housing and mounted it bare.

I plan to do the same thing when I receive my Samsung NF310 and OCZ Vertex 2 ssd in the next few days (maybe just removing half of the ssd case).

IMO, all ssd manufacturers should do the same thing as Intel is doing where it can be easily changed from 9.5mm to 7mm by removing extra "padding".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjcodex View Post
Anybody know of a cheaper alternative to the Intel one that fits nicely out of interest?

JJ

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#7) Old

Default 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM

I would be most interested to hear if you are successful! The OCZ price is more palletable for what I would pay for the upgrade of a netbook!

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Not an apple in site!
  (#8) Old

Default 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM

I will post an update here if I'm successful or not

If I was not successful, my plan was to put it in my wife's (future) dell mini 1012, but if that one also has a 7mm hd, then last option was to sell on ebay

I got mine from newegg, $117.77 for the 40gb (tax and shipping included). Not bad for an ssd with the Sandforce 1200 controller and supports TRIM. My dell mini9 XP 16gb partition still has 5+gb of free space as most of my data files are on external hd's and SDHC cards (inside truecrypt containers )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjcodex View Post
I would be most interested to hear if you are successful! The OCZ price is more palletable for what I would pay for the upgrade of a netbook!

JJ

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM

those measurements are disappointing to me.....the 1010's use a 'Standard' 9mm drive and I certainly wouldn't wanna get rid of my 750gb WD drive I was kinda hoping to pop it in to a Duo if/when I decide to get one...but the 7mm deal is a deal breaker for me.....hell I wanted the 1tb drive for my 1010 but the damn thing is 12.5mm and I can only handle 9mm.....guess its cause of the extra platters and heads....oh well....see ya Dell Duo I wont be getting one now....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#10) Old

Default 02-25-2011, 12:19 AM

I have the Crucial 128gb and it there is no bulge and the screen closes perfectly.