Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default network with Airport - 10-08-2008, 08:20 PM

I did have one problem on the Mini. I use an Apple Airport network. I have 5 laptops all Dells using Windows XP which took to the net with ease. I have a relatively new slim Dell C521 using Vista which never would work with the network. then i have 3 Macintoshes running off the local net. The mini would load the net and say it was connected but none of the programs would work. Lacking both patience and time i turned the mini over to Dell who had me connect by ethernet to the router. They took over the computer and finally installed air port for windows and then messed around for a while and now it works fine. This cost $70 but i have something that i can use so that is OK. This is the only problem so far.

I am using a Western Electric 2.5" hard drive and i ran several movies off he hard drive and they ran fine. The next thing is to install Delorme maping and put the resource maps on an Extreme 3 SD card by sandisk. i will see if that works.

ken _r
  (#2) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: network with Airport - 10-08-2008, 11:57 PM

Hmmm... I have an Airport Extreme non Gigabit just 10/100 running in G mode. I have 4 Macs. 1 is wired 3 are wireless. 2 iPhones, 3 Nintendo DS's, a Wii and finally the Mini 9 all running wireless with no problem. The airport software for Windows is just a utility that would allow you to admin the Airport. Very strange why it would not work but hey it works so I would not complain.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#3) Old

Default Re: network with Airport - 10-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Re: network with Airport
by onefish2 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Hmmm... I have an Airport Extreme non Gigabit just 10/100 running in G mode. I have 4 Macs. 1 is wired 3 are wireless. 2 iPhones, 3 Nintendo DS's, a Wii and finally the Mini 9 all running wireless with no problem. The airport software for Windows is just a utility that would allow you to admin the Airport. Very strange why it would not work but hey it works so I would not complain.
that is what i thought also. The 4 refurbished Dells i attached all worked without a hitch. The Dell service man did this so i do not completely know his reasoning. The windows utility should not be for running but to control the airport system. i still think it is a windows problem that some little software switch had to be thrown. worries me if i change out the solid state drive. then i will loose all that he did unless i can copy the old memory back to the new memory. right now running Delorme Topo 6 and MS word. there is not much i need on this unit. i have other portables. I also have a western Electric 2.5 hard drive, i was running movies from this on the little dell. It is only for when i am away from home anyway.

ken r