My Digital Discount MDD are online retailers of Runcore SSD drives and accessories for your Dell Mini netbook.

(#11) Old
Administrator

Default 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Ask the vendor. I have not seen a general method.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#12) Old

Default 11-27-2009, 11:12 PM

Does anyone know of an SSD for the Mini 9 that definitely supports trim?
  (#13) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm13 View Post
Does anyone know of an SSD for the Mini 9 that definitely supports trim?

All of the RunCore SSDs will support TRIM.

MyDigitalDiscount.com is your connection to the digital world.

Join the MDD Community: Follow us on Twitter.com/MyDigital or become a fan on Facebook.com/MyDigitalDiscount to get the latest news, product updates and exclusive offers.
  (#14) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDD Colleen View Post
All of the RunCore SSDs will support TRIM.
nice
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 12-03-2009, 01:03 AM

Colleen, I have to say I find this difficult to believe. Are you including those you sold a year ago? Or is this only the Pro IV models? Are firmware updates for the 50mm models available? I don't think anyone supported TRIM a year ago. Would you please verify your source? Thanks.

Steve
  (#16) Old

Default 01-02-2010, 06:01 AM

I'd like to know as well. Wiper doesn't want to run, and now I'm getting hickups. Otherwise I love my Mini 9!

Djof | "Je me souviens"
Black Mini 1012 with OCZ Onyx SSD and HD, Red Mini 9
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default 01-09-2010, 03:18 PM

Even if the drive supports TRIM, if the BIOS is not using AHCI mode for the controller, you won't get TRIM. The Mini 9 does not and there is no way to change it. So TRIM support is moot on the Mini 9/Vostro A90.

This does not affect use of utilities to recover the deleted blocks. Note that a standard disk erasing utility won't accomplish anything here and will in fact make things worse.

Here's how you can tell if an SSD supports TRIM.

Download and install the Intel SSD Toolbox.
Run the Intel SSD Toolbox. If your drive is not an Intel SSD, the only option available will be "View Drive Information". Click that.
Scroll down to Word 169 and look at the value for Bit 0 - Data Set Management Supported. if this is 1, you have TRIM. If 0, you don't.

(It took me most of a morning to track down which specific word and bit had this info - the ATA spec has shifted it around several times during the proposal phase.)

FWIW, the original RunCore "Pro" 64GB SSD I have does not support TRIM, not that it matters (see above)

Steve
  (#18) Old

Default 02-11-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
This does not affect use of utilities to recover the deleted blocks.
I have the same hardware configuration (Runcore Pro (not IV) 64G on a Mini 9) and I have been trying to figure out a solution to this problem -- is there a utility like this that will work on these drives? I have tried various wiper.exes but none of them recognize the drive. Does it need to be removed from the mini and mounted via the usb interface on another machine? Or am I just out of luck short of buying a Pro IV? Runcore does not appear to have any intention of doing a firmware update on the older models.
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default 02-11-2010, 11:59 AM

I'll tell you what I am doing - ignoring the issue. Unless you routinely fill up the SSD, you probably won't notice a thing.

Steve
  (#20) Old

Default 02-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Unfortunately, I am at 24gb out of 64, and seeing a lot of stutter -- although it comes and goes. Lately if I am downloading, say, a 50mb file, the system will become unusable for the duration of the download.

On the other hand, some days it behaves just fine, which is a bit confusing as I thought the issue with the lack of unused blocks was not reversible short of TRIM or some wiper.exe type tool resetting the deleted blocks. Is there some firmware-level process that is cleaning these up on its own? My understanding was that it was impossible since the operating system has no way to communicate to the SSD which blocks are truly unused.