Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default 100 Degree CPU Temp!? OMG I'm Toast! - 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Hi all.

I got a refurb'd Mini 1010 with 1GB of RAM and the HD screen (we'll call this Netbook-A).

I decided that I needed to upgrade the memory to 2GB so I searched around.

I found a 2GB 1010 with the non-HD screen and bought it (we'll call this Netbook-B).

I took apart Netbook-B and took out the daughterboard and placed it in Netbook-A.

All was well...at least it seemed. The metal plate that goes over the daughterboard doesn't fit now because of the slightly different shape of the 2GB daughterboard.

I figured I'd just leave the metal plate off and assembled the netbook back together (in the process I also put the 1GB from Netbook-A into Netbook-B and sold it to a friend at a reduced price).

The CPU is now running insanely hot. I used Speccy to take a look at the PC temp and it is at 100 degrees in an air-conditioned office environment.

Am I doomed?

Was that metal plate some type of heat sink? It looked like it's main purpose was to just protect the RAM and the processor from damage.

I've been running into so many issues with this netbook I am ready to throw against the wall (I haven't even made a payment yet on it).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I am downloading 81 Windows updates right now and it is taking forever and my CPU usage is at 100% as well.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Yes, that metal shield is also a heatsink.
Sounds like your causing your own issues, don't take that out on the netbook because you decide that it doesn't need pieces that were engineered into it's design.
Netbook A and B should both have the plate/heatsinks, put the one for the 2GB in the machine with the 2GB daughter board.
If that doesn't easily attach to the 1GB main board, just swap the monitors and leave the daughter boards alone.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#3) Old

Default 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Sounds like your causing your own issues...
Indeed you are correct. I do that quite often. As a matter of fact, it's the story of my life (which is being made into a cartoon with a friend of mine).

I will have to disassemble both netbooks again and try swapping the metal pieces.

Thanks for your help!...although you were a bit snippy ; )
  (#4) Old

Default 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM

It might be worth checking the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink. I did a service on a Dell XPS M1330 laptop which was running very hot all the time with the fan going constantly to try and keep it cool. I removed the heatsink, cleaned out all the fluff from the fan, applied some new themal compound and its working fine now.

Loving my Streak!
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Ha, sorry pal, didn't mean to come off as snippy.
I would check the thermal compound, but definitely switch the plates.
Another option too is pick up a cooling pad and see how it does, if it stays cool, worry about it another day.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 07-23-2010, 04:09 PM

I remember reading on this forum somewhere..DO NOT USE THERMAL COMPOUND....do a search...I believe it was Steve (holmes4) who said it.......

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 07-23-2010, 10:37 PM

I don't know about the 1010. For the 910, there is a gap and a special thermal foam is used. Paste-type compounds are used when the heatsink is tight against the chip.

Steve