Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#51) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willothewisp View Post
On a related matter USB sticks and external hard disks are rudely disconnected on sleep. Is there a work round. I have disabled legacy USB in the bios.
I don't think this is 'fixable' because its the mini hardware/BIOS itself that power down the USB ports.

I wrote a script to automagically dismount any discs with any files open for use with the internal SDHC reader. Its in the thread linked in my .sig and could easily be modified to work on and close any file not on the internal HD.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#52) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 - 02-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I know the common question is why would you want to do this, but I don't want to argue the merits of hibernation over sleep, I want to have hibernation, has anyone found a way to make this work? It looks like the hooks are in the nbi chameleon boot loader. Is there a workaround?
Many Thanks
SpookFx

Dell Mini 9, A05 Bios, 2GB RAM, 64GB STEC SSD, 1.3MP Webcam, Bluetooth, WWAN, OSX 10.6.6
  (#53) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookfx View Post
Hi everyone,

I know the common question is why would you want to do this, but I don't want to argue the merits of hibernation over sleep, I want to have hibernation, has anyone found a way to make this work? It looks like the hooks are in the nbi chameleon boot loader. Is there a workaround?
Many Thanks
SpookFx
At least in my case, and probably in others, the current problem is not in the Chameleon bootloader. The problem is that, for whatever reason, OS X never actually writes the contents of RAM to the sleepimage file (it creates it, but it remains empty).

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#54) Old

Default 03-01-2010, 04:00 AM

I agree, it seems to be an OS X thing as minimalpc mentions above. I am patiently waiting for someone to fix this... for me it is the most important thing remaining to be fixed, slightly ahead of the slow boot up speed, which would no longer be an option if hibernation worked ;-)

Mini 10v | N280 | White | 2GB RAM | Webcam | Bluetooth | 80GB X25-M SSD | OS X 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | VoodooPowerMini | A04 BIOS
MacBook | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | Unibody | 4GB RAM | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Mac mini | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | PLEX Media Center
iMac | 2.8GHz Core i7 | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | Belongs to work
  (#55) Old

Default 03-12-2010, 03:31 AM

guess the answer to my question is no not really at the moment
  (#56) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeef View Post
guess the answer to my question is no not really at the moment
I guess there's not yet an "it just works" install, but its entirely possible if you don't mind messing around.

You need to worry about:
- Version of Chameleon with Hibernate fixes
- Version of Chameleon with Meklort's atom patch for 10.6.2 (or hacked kernel)
- Turning off encrypted memory (Security prefpane) as Chameleon cant yet handle that.

Probably also: need to have working normal sleep anyway, so 1 or all of:
- Version of Chameleon with FADT restart fixes (or EvOrebot.kext)
- Restart after sleep (may need OSXRestart.kext)
- SleepEnabler.kext

Can't explain why minimalpc's and others' seem to be writing 00000s after 1st hibernate, but I do know that hibernate can work fine on Atom-based hacks. Certainly does on mine, but I've not used NBM or other installers, just put together bit by bit (only way to learn!).

minimalpc - Does your machine restart after normal sleep (using OSXRestart?), if not then that might be involved.
  (#57) Old

Default 03-20-2010, 01:33 AM

Humph, can you confirm that you're using Snow-Leopard, and not Leopard for us; it's not in your signature ;-)

If you are using SL, then you might be then only person that I've heard of that has been able to get it to work, and it would be wonderful if you could share some details of how you did get yours to work (beyond what you've already shared of course).

Mini 10v | N280 | White | 2GB RAM | Webcam | Bluetooth | 80GB X25-M SSD | OS X 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | VoodooPowerMini | A04 BIOS
MacBook | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | Unibody | 4GB RAM | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Mac mini | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | PLEX Media Center
iMac | 2.8GHz Core i7 | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2 | Belongs to work
  (#58) Old

Default 03-20-2010, 07:53 AM

Nezil,

Yes, 10.6.2.

I am not 100% sure what specific things I did that makes it work! So it's hard to give good details or to perhaps avoid sending you off on wild goose chase and waste a lot of time. Am trying to give encouragement however that it ought to be possible!

Originally hibernate did not work for me and I didn't mess around with it. That was absolutely down to knowing that Chameleon did not support it. I upgraded Chameleon over time (am now using AndyVand' branch of RC5 pre v119), and at some point I realized that Hibernate ought to now work as Chameleon had the Hibernate patch in it.

However, I seem to recall that the problem minimalpc and others mentioned, about not correctly writing out the sleepimage file, was something I also experienced (before). If I remember correctly, even with hibernatemode set to 3, when going to sleep, no file would be written to disk. I think this is key, but I am not sure what specific thing it is that makes that work. OSXRestart, EVOReboot, Meklorts new version SleepEnabler, FADT (in Chameleon).., some Config elsewhere, having a good smbios.plist, etc etc?

I've also changed DSDT for the basic stuff (RTC etc), and followed various threads and ideas to implement and try to improve USB-wakeup related stuff, but I'm fairly sure (but not 100%!!) that additional DSDT mod over what's done by NBI is NOT needed.

If I get some solid time, I may wipe everything and re-load then I can perhaps figure out the key steps that make the difference, but pls dont hold your breath as may not get around to that.
  (#59) Old

Default 03-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Update. So I was wrong (ha, what's new) about my suspicion about OSXRestart being involved. Although you probably want/need OSXRestart to get restart after sleep. And probably also wrong about not needing any extra DSDT stuff.

At least I think I was wrong. Here's what I did:

I set up a fresh 10.6.0 install on ext USB drive. Selectively and incrementally loaded contents of my standard /Extra folder to a separate USB-booter-Chameleon stick (ie: I kept the OS X install totally vanilla).

I found that the machine would not correctly write the sleepimage file. The machine would go to sleep almost immediately. (Hibernatemode =3, so should write the sleepimage file before actually sleeping). In kernel log, you saw some stuff about sleepimage, but write time of 0ms, clearly wrong. It should be around 5000ms +/- depending on how much RAM is used. This sounds exactly like the problem identified by minimalpc above.

Then I stuck the ext drive into the machine (replaced the existing drive). Now sleepimage is written correctly, and can resume via hibernate image if battery removed during "sleep". (Or set hibernatemode =1 to force it to do so every time).

What does this mean, and how to fix on other machines?

I figure that the reason the sleepimage was not OK when using in ext USB drive box is that the USB was effectively powering down immediately, preventing sleepimage to be written. (I've got ugly hacks in DSDT to enable sleep, but I've not got perfect handling of USB power states sorted out).

I now suspect then that the minimalpc, your problem is somehow related to power handling of the SATA port that internal HD is connected to, and perhaps whether OS X sees the port as internal or external. I've done some DSDT mods related to SATA that perhaps are making the difference, but not yet checked out what specifically makes the difference, if indeed it's any of this. Perhaps is co-incidence.

The changes I've made are:
1) Removed PATA section in DSDT and turn off unwanted PATA port (probably not relevant)

2) Added this to SATA (initially to enable boot w/o modified IOATA family):
Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Store (0xE307, PRIT)
Store (0xC000, SECT)
}
Credit to The KING and Tea.

3) Cleaned up/removed IRQs in various places HPET, RTC, PIC, TIMR, (probably not relevant to this, but can be relevant for improved SATA performance in some cases). Reference The KING for that.

And of course some USB stuff that enables sleep, but this is basically the same as NBI does.
  (#60) Old
Expert Member

Default 03-21-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humph View Post
minimalpc - Does your machine restart after normal sleep (using OSXRestart?), if not then that might be involved.
It does, provided that USB Legacy is disabled in the BIOS. Can you please post your entire DSDT? For some time, I have been thinking that is where the problem may be. Sounds like some of the patches you have applied may have solved it...

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final