General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Backup/Restore method? - 03-12-2011, 10:51 PM

Hi,

Haven't played with OSX in awhile and decided to get back to it in the past few weeks.

Updated my Mini 9 (MBR dual boot using EasyBCD: Win7 & OSX) to SL and decided to test backup/restore before proceeding just in case. I backed up with Carbon Copy Cloner and then restored using Disk Utility (booted off a USB OSX install) but now the OSX install says "Chain Boot Error". I tried reinstalling NBI_20100616212351 (initially without installing Chameleon but then again with installing Chameleon) but no dice. The installation is still there as I can boot into it using my USB OSX install's bootloader. I just can't seem to get into it without using the USB OSX install's bootloader.

What do folks here use for backup/restore?

Thanks.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB STEC SSD | 16GB RiData SDHC
Triple Boot: Windows 7 | OSX 10.6 | XP
  (#2) Old

Default 03-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Seems the install is fine, but maybe there's something wrong with the easyBCD setting. Try deleting the osx entry and re-adding it. (do you know if easyBCD puts a chain0 file on your osx partition? You might need to delete it, and then add the easyBCD entry in win7). ((it's been a while since I had that setup myself.))

As far as backing up, I've always used disk utility (restore) running off of the install USB, or Linux live USB (Gparted. Copy/paste) of course these aren't 'live' back up solutions.

Cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

Last edited by Oscar; 03-12-2011 at 11:24 PM.
  (#3) Old

Default 03-13-2011, 10:20 AM

I tried removing the EasyBCD entry and re-adding but no dice. Not sure if EasyBCD puts a chain0 file on the OSX partition.

Lemme go try GParted. I'm guessing the copy/pasting of partitions will take a bit longer since it copies everything but as long as the backup/restore works, I can live with that.

Thanks.

(#4) Old

Default 03-14-2011, 01:31 AM

Ok, GParted worked fine. A bit slower (about 25 minutes for my 32GB OSX partition) since it copies the whole partition including the free space but at least I have a way of backing up & restoring now.

Thanks for the tip!

(#5) Old

Default 03-14-2011, 03:21 AM

No problem. I was going to mention it's faster if you shrank out the clear space first.. But the problem is that you even though you can copy to an existing partition (a larger one, thus giving you empty space to work with after restoring) you can't go back and expand the original copy--I've heard of at least one commercial product that can do it, but have yet to discover a free alternative. And that could be trouble.

Anyhow, glad to help.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#6) Old

Default 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Just tried Disk Backup's "convert to image" option (after booting up off a USB OSX install) and that worked as well. A bit faster since it compresses free space. Not sure why Carbon Copy Cloner & Time Machine wouldn't work for me but at least now I have two methods of backing up now.

Thanks again.

(#7) Old

Default 03-17-2011, 01:07 AM

Weird. Just modified my partition structure to accommodate triple booting (Win7, OSX, XP) and my backups no longer work. Same "Chain Boot Error" problem. I guess the problem has something to do with repartitioning?

Oh well, I guess I'll reinstall and then do the whole "backup/restore" dance again.

(#8) Old

Default 03-18-2011, 06:07 PM

To clarify, when I said that my backups didn't work, I was referring to the Disk Utility ones. I had deleted my GParted backups since Disk Utility was easier to use and used less space.

Now that I've reinstalled, Disk Utility works again to backup/restore. I guess it was the repartitioning that confused it.

A bit of a PITA but at least now I have a triple booting Mini9.