General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM

That's a kernel panic alright.

What method did you use to prep the install usb drive?

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#12) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
That's a kernel panic alright.

What method did you use to prep the install usb drive?
Created using my iMac which was running Leopard. Not realizing that NBM 0.8.4RC1 needed SL, I tried using 0.8.3 which created the USB drive but that didn't work on the netbook.

So, I upgraded to SL, ran 0.8.4RC1 against the USB drive I had and it worked to create the USB drive. But still no luck on the netbook.

As a last shot, this morning I kicked off a new build of 10.6.3 install to USB (this time under SL), which I'll run against 0.8.4RC1 and try again...but I'm not confident that's the issue...but who knows?

Hopefully, even a little of that made sense
  (#13) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matunuck

Created using my iMac which was running Leopard. Not realizing that NBM 0.8.4RC1 needed SL, I tried using 0.8.3 which created the USB drive but that didn't work on the netbook.

So, I upgraded to SL, ran 0.8.4RC1 against the USB drive I had and it worked to create the USB drive. But still no luck on the netbook.

As a last shot, this morning I kicked off a new build of 10.6.3 install to USB (this time under SL), which I'll run against 0.8.4RC1 and try again...but I'm not confident that's the issue...but who knows?

Hopefully, even a little of that made sense
Makes sense. For reference, check your methodology against this guide:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-mac-os-x-discussion/25142-guide-installing-os-x-your-mini-mac-revisited.html

Two things came to mind
1. Make sure you partition your USB as MBR

2. Make sure you've adjusted your bios before install-- USB legacy support on.

Cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#14) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks, Oscar. I'll give it another go double checking everything and report back.

Appreciate the help.
  (#15) Old

Default Success! - 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Oscar, just thought I would follow up that I am now up and running on my mini. Very cool! Thanks for the help. Wish I had found your instruction guide sooner.

For anyone that may come after me, a couple mistakes I made to watch out for. If you are using a Mac, make sure it is running Snow Leopard. Older guides out there don't mention this so it is important you make the USB drive under SL. Also, what to enable/disable on the BIOS settings varies depending on what you are reading...stick with the guide in this thread.

Other than that, it went smoothly. Just be patient. Sound, wi-fi, etc. work. Not sure about BT since I really don't use it.

Lastly, I actually used an 8GB compact flash card with a USB card reader. Worked perfectly, so if you don't have an 8GB USB drive, but have a 8GB CF card...that'll work.

Thanks again.
  (#16) Old

Default 03-11-2011, 04:53 AM

Hey so I used your method to install OSX 10.6.3 with my macbook on my dell mini 9 and it all worked great, then all the sudden today it wasnt working, it wouldnt get wifi, and weird things happened with the top bar so I restarted and it wouldnt start... it just went to the dell screen then a black screen with a little white bar spinning, so I put the usb drive back in and tried to erase and re-install, it makes it halfway through the install and then nothing.... what do I do? Please help me! I am new to this and extremely frustrated after searching through here for hours I have nothing... im about to throw this thing out the window.

Sorry I am posting this everywhere to try and get ahold of oscar... nothing seems to work...

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Just to note it worked for about 2 days after I installed using your method, had a lil sleep issue to I disabled that usb legacy thing and then sleep functioned properly, fast forward 24 hours and thats when i had total loss of wifi so i restarted, upon restart had the black screen, little white flashy thing, no movement, so now ive been trying to re install but like I said it just keeps failing half way through no matter what I do, I re ENABLED usb lagacy thing and started from step 1 on your guide, well not from step 1 i didnt remake the usb drive, I started from the step after the usb drive is made...

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Just to note it worked for about 2 days after I installed using your method, had a lil sleep issue to I disabled that usb legacy thing and then sleep functioned properly, fast forward 24 hours and thats when i had total loss of wifi so i restarted, upon restart had the black screen, little white flashy thing, no movement, so now ive been trying to re install but like I said it just keeps failing half way through no matter what I do, I re ENABLED usb lagacy thing and started from step 1 on your guide, well not from step 1 i didnt remake the usb drive, I started from the step after the usb drive is made...