Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Glad to hear you got it up and running. Strange that redoing the USB key fixed it, although admittedly, nothing surprises me these days any more when it comes to computers.

Which wifi adapter you have? I know I have both the 1397 and 1510, and the 1510 is flaky under Ubuntu, but I have no issues with the 1397 under Ubuntu. OS X and Windows 7 have played pretty nice, although I do have issues with Windows 7 on the 1510. Sometimes, when coming out of sleep, it connects to the AP, but doesn't pull an IP address. I'm not sure if I blame my POS Linksys, or the POS wifi adapter.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#12) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 07:34 PM

It's the 1397. I double checked the antenna and they're connected.

It shows the Min10v is connected to the AP, but there's no connection to the Internet.

Update: I went and sat in the same room as the AP and have not lost the connection. Where I was sitting before was on the other side of a fairly thick wall. However, my Toshiba laptop and Mini9 with the Dell N card have no trouble getting and keeping a connection.

Last edited by MikePA; 10-18-2009 at 07:49 PM.
  (#13) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
I'm curious, how does the Mini detect the USB key?
When I click "repair my computer" it will instantly start searching for boot problems with my installation, with no signs that it did anything out of the ordinary it'll say its been fixed and reboot.

At this point if I boot from the hard drive I'll get the same 0x00whatever boot error, but if I boot from USB It'll take me to the Windows 7 desktop. This leads me to believe my previous statement about it seeing the USB drive as the windows 7 installation (for whatever reason) before it sees the hard drive and requires me to remove the drive before I click repair.

Enough files are cached on the system for repair to go through flawlessly with the drive disconnected from the computer.

All in all its quite odd and I don't know why I'm getting this problem and you aren't (maybe its because I'm using a MSProDuo and a card reader rather than a real USB thumb drive). It all works in the end though with this small step.
  (#14) Old

Default Will this work with XP instead of Windows 7? - 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=anguish;111376]Well, I finally have the videos on YouTube. We won't discuss how many times I re-encoded. Also not going to discuss my gripes about Live Movie Maker versus good ole Move Maker 2.6.

<snip>
  (#15) Old

Default 10-24-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
When I click "repair my computer" it will instantly start searching for boot problems with my installation, with no signs that it did anything out of the ordinary it'll say its been fixed and reboot.

At this point if I boot from the hard drive I'll get the same 0x00whatever boot error, but if I boot from USB It'll take me to the Windows 7 desktop. This leads me to believe my previous statement about it seeing the USB drive as the windows 7 installation (for whatever reason) before it sees the hard drive and requires me to remove the drive before I click repair.

Enough files are cached on the system for repair to go through flawlessly with the drive disconnected from the computer.

All in all its quite odd and I don't know why I'm getting this problem and you aren't (maybe its because I'm using a MSProDuo and a card reader rather than a real USB thumb drive). It all works in the end though with this small step.
I got this same problem. Thought I was all done but when I went to boot to Win7 I got the 00x0 error page. But when I tried to boot to the Win7 USB it took me to the desktop that I created. It somehow altered my USB boot.ini (or the variation of it) to do something different. To resolve I had to re-create my Win7 USB installer drive, only then was I able to boot to the 'install' page and access the command prompt to fix the install. But this time I made sure to remove the flash drive before the repair and it worked like a charm.

I was using a standard 8GB Kingston flash drive, so I dont think your MSProDuo/card reader was the problem. I am just glad it is working! Thank you all for the help!!
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM

I've seen some USB drives that are seen as USB storage versus others that are seen as removable devices (and something else) at the BIOS level. I don't know what the differences are, but they do cause different behaviors than I would expect.

(#17) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 05:15 AM

Hey,

Great guide anguish!
But i'm stuck at the point of installing Windows 7,
i follow you're guide exactly and do the same steps!
But when i get to the part to format the partition to NTFS no problem,
but then i can't proceed because i get the following message
"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" Everytime i tried to do this i get the same message.
When i try another approach i get the following message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"
Do you maybe have any idea or solution on how to fix this ?

I'm using an Samsung NC10 but that shouldn't matter that much or does it ?

This is what i'm using.

Samsung NC10
Snow Leopard (Retail)
Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (Original MSDN)
And Ubuntu, but i didn't get to that part.

Thanks!

Mixpower
  (#18) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-30-2009, 11:31 AM

I can't say for sure with the Samsung NC10, as I've never used one. Confirming though, you're using media created using Netbook Bootmaker? Also, I'm not using Snow Leopard, so potentially there could be an issue there, but I don't want to say for sure. Hopefully someone who has used this method and is using SL (if they haven't already above, I haven't looked) can chime in.

(#19) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply anguish!

Yes i used an 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro, i format it to HFS+ with an MBR using Snow Leopard in VMware, then i restored the retail snow leopard and after that i patched it with the latest netbookbootmaker. Well i can try using Leopard if that works the problem is within SL, i will check it out thanks!

Mixpower
  (#20) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Keep us updated!