Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#11) Old

Default gptsync - 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM

I found gptsync to be a very useful tool to get the hybridized MBR re-generated after the ubuntu install replaces it with a single partition "protective" MBR.

the command is "gptsync /dev/sda"

It shows the newly proposed MBR scheme and you just say yes.

I know that Anguish will put together a better guide - as he's been taking very detailed notes as he runs through it!

hope that helps.

-jb

Dell Mini 10v, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
BIOS A04
Triple Boot: Mac OS X 10.6.3, Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
  (#12) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM

I am stoked... I will be trying this procedure in a few days. Just ordered my Dell Mini 10. I was only going to load a dual boot setup (SL and Ubuntu), but after seeing this post I decided to try the Windows 7 as well. By the way... Anyone know where I can get a "working" legit copy of Windows 7? I see people selling the product keys on ebay. Can I use one of those with a beta copy?

As you maybe can tell I am a Mac guy 100%... but the slow economy has forced me to trade form and function for frugality.

Any thoughts guys???
  (#13) Old

Unhappy Can't install win 7 - 10-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Windows willnot let me install to the NTFS partition. I have followed the instructions exactly. Could it be that I have an SSD? something is protecting the partition.
I have OSX installed and updated and have rerun NBI. The same thing happened when I tried to follow anguish's guide.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Gparted shows the partitioning as it should be....formatted as NTFS

MINI 9 | Runcore pro-lite 64gb | 2GB RAM |Mac OSX 10.6.7 win7 Ubuntu 10.10 triple boot| BT| NBI 0.8.4RC1(latest version)

Last edited by ocean223; 10-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.
  (#14) Old

Default 10-19-2009, 12:30 AM

I appreciate all the work you guys do to test, experiment and then document what you did. Spending the large part of this weekend just trying to get a dual boot (Win7 and 10.6.1)working was enough for me.

Now that I have everything working, I just found out the wireless connection when running 10.6.1 wont stay connected. Just drops after a few minutes. Turning it off then on again gets it working for a few more minutes. This isn't the same problem I had before which I think was simply being too far away from my AP.

If I can't resolve this in the next few days, I will be doing my last format and installing just Win7. At some point, I have to start actually start using my 10v for something productive. I'll still have 10.6.1 on my Mini9.
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM

I wonder if 10.5.x would give you the same flakiness with the wifi..

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#16) Old

Default 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
I wonder if 10.5.x would give you the same flakiness with the wifi..
It's interesting how you find things out.

My WiFi issue was not with a weak signal. I'm testing using my iPhone as an AP and the signal strength is excellent. I'm not getting an IP address. Whether I'm running 10.6.1 or Win7 Pro, the WiFi card gets 169.254.204.180 which, if I remember my long ago MCSE training correctly, is the address you get when it cannot find a DHCP server.

Last edited by MikePA; 10-19-2009 at 12:23 PM.
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Yep. That's an APIPA address. I'm assuming the DHCP pool isn't full up, so I'd think that's not the issue. Interesting that both OS'es are seemingly having the issue. That points to likely hardware (or software on that AP) issue on either the Mini or the AP. I don't suspect the AP for obvious reasons, so that sounds more like the wifi adapter.

For shits and giggles, have you tried bouncing the AP? That's definitely one thing to try. I don't know if you were able to get the wifi card out (doesn't look like it from what I've read), so reseating the card probably won't work, but it's worth "pressing it in" I guess, and also reseating the antenna connections if you haven't already.

Just a couple of thoughts/ideas.

(#18) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
For shits and giggles, have you tried bouncing the AP?
When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed my iPhone wasn't connecting to my AP and was staying connected to the cell network. Actually, I noticed this over the weekend but was so busy getting dual boot working I didn't have time to look into it. Even going into Settings on the iPhone and specifying my network wouldn't work, said it couldn't find it. So, I thought, what the heck, I powered my AP off and on. Guess what? It fixed the problem in both operating systems on the 10v and the iPhone! Everything was working on my Toshiba laptop and iMac because they each already had an IP address since I almost never power them off.

I also use MyWi on my iPhone (makes it act like an ad hoc network) and the 10v can connect to that.

So, I am a happy camper! No need to get a new WiFi card. Dual boot is working great. So, now I have a netbook with 2 gigs of RAM, a half terabyte hard drive and 2 great operating systems. Now I'm just awaiting the delivery of my internal Bluetooth card and things will be perfect.

Thanks for all your assistance!

Last edited by MikePA; 10-20-2009 at 12:01 PM.
  (#19) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Rock on man! Glad to hear it!

(#20) Old

Default 10-28-2009, 12:45 AM

Hey,

Thanks for this great guide! but i have a few problems.
I'm using this guide on my NC10, i do the exact steps you describe but when i get to the Windows 7 part i'm stuck!
Windows 7 refuses to install on the GPT disk, how can i resolve this ?

I used the following:

Windows 7 Enterprise (original from MSDN)
Samsung NC10 (Atom N270 32-bit)
Snow Leopard 10.6 (Retail)

I hope you can help me.

Thanks

Mixpower