Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old

Default Bootloader queries - 10-24-2011, 02:28 PM

hi all,

I've been happily triple-booting my mini 10v with windows 7, os 10.6.7, and ubuntu 11.04, recently updated to 11.10 with no issues.

now that i'm comfortable with the system i've been trying to change the theme in chameleon but seem to have hit a wall. I'm using Lizard rather than altering the boot file myself. The issue I am having is that whenever I change the theme, osx decides it can't boot so I have to use my nbi usb drive to get in and run nbi once in osx to get it to work again. any suggestions?

also, I'm wondering if it is possible to remove/disable grub, since that loads every time i go to load ubuntu from chameleon, and pressing enter twice is far too much effort for me lol

EDIT

turns out i'm retarded and updated chameleon in Lizard, tried again just changing the theme and it worked fine.

I'd still like to know if I can get rid of grub somehow though

Last edited by stetilley; 10-24-2011 at 02:51 PM.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Although you have Chameleon as your OSX boot loader, you still need Grub to boot your Linux partition the same that you need the Windows boot loader to boot Windows. What you can do is configure Grub to have a zero second timeout and it should not pause with the boot menu but go right into Linux.

I have been playing around with the boot themes but manually by copying a theme to /extra/themes and renaming as Default. How do you like using Lizard?

Mini 9 Red|A06|Win7/OSX 10.6.8|Runcore 64gb|2gb G.Skill RAM|Bluetooth|Cam|Sleep working
Mini 9 Black|A07|XP/OSX 10.6.8|Super Talent 32gb|1gb RAM|Sleep working
Mini 10v Multi-color|A06|Win7/OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 11|Samsung 128gb SSD|2gb G.Skill RAM|Bluetooth|Cam|Sleep working
  (#3) Old

Default 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM

that's cool, how would I change the timeout to zero seconds?

Lizard is cool, especially since it makes it much easier to change the resolution without having to edit any files yourself. I can see it being useful if you use a few themes and switch since you don't have to name the folder Default
  (#4) Old

Default 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Open up the /boot/grub/menu.lst file in your favorite text editor. I’m using gedit:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Now find the section that looks like this:
## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3
The timeout value is in seconds. Save the file, and when you reboot you will have that many seconds to choose the menu item you want. You can change it to zero and the boot menu will be skipped.

Mini 9 Red|A06|Win7/OSX 10.6.8|Runcore 64gb|2gb G.Skill RAM|Bluetooth|Cam|Sleep working
Mini 10v Multi-color|A06|Win7/OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 11|Samsung 128gb SSD|2gb G.Skill RAM|Bluetooth|Cam|Sleep working
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleDesigns View Post
Open up the /boot/grub/menu.lst file in your favorite text editor. Iím using gedit:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3
The timeout value is in seconds. Save the file, and when you reboot you will have that many seconds to choose the menu item you want. You can change it to zero and the boot menu will be skipped.
I believe that on modern Ubuntu running GRUB2, you'd want to edit "/etc/default/grub" to reduce the timeout, then run "update-grub" to generate the config file/script.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old

Default 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Upon further reading, Ubuntu 11.04 probably uses grub2, in which case the above may not work. I cannot test this but if you use similar procedures like below:

Open up the /etc/default/grub file in your favorite text editor. Iím using gedit:

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Code:

## timeout sec # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry # (normally the first entry defined). timeout 3
The timeout value is in seconds. Save the file.

Run the following to update the changes:

Code:

sudo update-grub

Last edited by PinnacleDesigns; 10-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.