Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#21) Old

Default 11-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWR2WH8 View Post
interested to try this to load win7. however, there seems to be problems. anyone completed this successfully?
I have gotten everything up and running excellently, had to do some messing around but got it to work perfectly, what issues are you having?
  (#22) Old

Default 11-25-2009, 04:35 AM

Is there any way to do this retroactively after installing OSX on a single partition?
Can I just use BootCamp in OSX?
  (#23) Old

Default 11-28-2009, 10:56 AM

After several tries, and following *exactly* the instructions in the original post, I've now got this working! Thanks to those involved.
I used an external DVD drive, the Snow Leopard disk that arrived from Amazon yesterday, NBI CD ver 0.8.3rc4 and my Win 7 installation disk.
On the first few tries, I could get OSX to go, but Win 7 produced the Black Screen of Death when it was started.
In the step where you are asked to rerun NBI with all the options except Chameleon unticked, I eventually did this by booting into OSX and loading up the NBI CD, opening it and running NBI from there rather than looking for it in utilities.
Each time the fdisk routine was invoked it came up with MBR error message, but this has not affected a successful outcome.
Now to get into the more esoteric aspects of Mac use, like why can I only see the top level directories on files on my networked media server for example! (Edit: pure coincidence, one of the disks on my media server has failed...)
  (#24) Old

Default 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM

i had win xp on partition 1 and osx 10.6.2 on partition 2 with NBI rc4. i could boot to either partition through chameleon and everything worked fine.

I then formated and installed win 7 in my xp partition 1. after it was up and running i rebooted to my osx usb stick and through that into osx partition. i then ran the nbi rc4 with just the chameleon checked and rebooted. on reboot chameleon does not boot and i get windows boot error with instructions to reboot with win 7 DVD and repair mbr. this worked fine before with xp so i am not sure what has changed with win 7 on the same partition. any ideas on what i am doing wrong?
  (#25) Old

Default 11-28-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Spectre View Post
i had win xp on partition 1 and osx 10.6.2 on partition 2 with NBI rc4. i could boot to either partition through chameleon and everything worked fine.

I then formated and installed win 7 in my xp partition 1. after it was up and running i rebooted to my osx usb stick and through that into osx partition. i then ran the nbi rc4 with just the chameleon checked and rebooted. on reboot chameleon does not boot and i get windows boot error with instructions to reboot with win 7 DVD and repair mbr. this worked fine before with xp so i am not sure what has changed with win 7 on the same partition. any ideas on what i am doing wrong?
Not really, I'm afraid, except the instructions do say to put OSX as the first partition after the boot one, with Win7 and any others following. I also had to reformat the 3rd partition within the Win 7 installer, since it declined to install on a FAT32 partition.
  (#26) Old

Default 12-11-2009, 12:46 AM

Thanks, shines on.
After correcting some careless mistakes I was able to follow your guide, and it works well.
I am now dual booting Snow and 7 with chameleon.
  (#27) Old

Default 12-18-2009, 09:13 PM

Okay, I have an odd issue...

I used a portable dvd drive instead of USB sticks, so I burned NetbookCD 0.8.3 RC3 (RC4 will not boot for me...) and installed OS X. I then Installed Windows 7. I went back to OS X and installed NBI RC4 and did my systme updates. I then went into the Windows 7 install disk, set the windows partition to active and repaired it. Then I went into windows and set OS X to active.

Both OSs work perfectly... But I can't seem to get Chameleon to give me a dual boot menu... It goes from my Dell logo screen to a white screen with black text, then boots in to OS X. I was expecting somethign similar to NBCD to choose which OS I wanted to use...

Again, both OSs work, I just have to manually set an active partition to use either of them... Any ideas?
  (#28) Old

Default 02-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shines on View Post
By hitting the space bar you'll be able to select from either your OSx partition or your Windows7 partition. Enjoy!
Thx for your Howto, everything works fine...is it possible to select the OS┬┤s without hitting the spacebar? Direct from the chameleon bootscreen with a timeout?

Thx again
  (#29) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-27-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggtopp View Post
Thx for your Howto, everything works fine...is it possible to select the OS┬┤s without hitting the spacebar? Direct from the chameleon bootscreen with a timeout?

Thx again
Yes, by editing the boot options in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file. See Official Chameleon Docs for more info.

In particular, look at this option:
"Instant Menu"=Yes Force displaying the partition selection menu.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#30) Old

Default 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM

I've followed the instructions carefully, but I still can't get my win 7 installation to show up in the Chameleon boot loader. My NBI is v4 and I've also run 0.8.5 pre, but it doesn't help.
I can only boot from the win 7 partition, if I make the win USB installer active using diskpart and use repair, i.e. install the bootloader to it.

Any tips for me?