Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old

Default Re: HDMI to VGA converter ? anyone try it ? - 05-11-2009, 01:12 PM

As the HDFury works without external power supply, the HD Fury Gamer Edition (which is really less expensive if you consider the HDFury + the HDMI to DVI cable) can be used.

http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury.shtm
  (#12) Old

Default 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

I may have the opposite problem. I am thinking of returning my Mini10 for a Mini10v, which has VGA instead of HDMI. But, I specifically chose the Mini10 because of the HDMI output.

Now, I will need a VGA to HDMI converter in order to connect to my TV.

Does anybody have any experience with VGA-HDMI converters? I am thinking of this one from Monoprice:
For only $36.05 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA & R/L Stereo Audio to HDMI Converter w/ DC Adapter | VGA to HDMI Converter
  (#13) Old

Arrow 05-14-2009, 03:54 AM

Thanks for bringing up this topic because I am thinking about getting the Dell Mini 10 for the 1366 x 768 resolution and HDMI output ... but I too need to use it for presentations, and ALL of the projectors we use takes a VGA connection.

Does anyone have any SPECIFIC adapters they can recommend to buy that are small and CHEAP? (preferably tested to see if it works on the Mini 10)

the HDFury NicoN mentioned is a great size, but it is too expensive for my purposes. It can't be too bulky because I need it to fit inside my small Netbook bag.

THANKS!!!
  (#14) Old

Default what about ceiling-mounted projectors? - 09-22-2009, 07:02 PM

If you have some questions, please ask me.

Nico[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nico, I do have one: Do you attach the HDfury directly to your projector? I wonder if it's going to work if you need to use a pretty long vga analog cable between HDfury and the projector (as in classrooms with ceiling-mounted projectors). I heard it might not work. Any comments on that?

Tibor
  (#15) Old

Default 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks Nico, I do have one: Do you attach the HDfury directly to your projector? I wonder if it's going to work if you need to use a pretty long vga analog cable between HDfury and the projector (as in classrooms with ceiling-mounted projectors). I heard it might not work. Any comments on that?

Tibor
Yes the HDFury is directly connected to the projector but it could work also with a cable between the HDFury and the projector. I think that the cable length is more important for the hdmi-dvi cable because the HDFury is powered by the HDMI cable ...

If you want, I'll try it as soon as possible (I've only a 2 meters cable to test ...).

Nico
  (#16) Old

Default 09-24-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoN View Post
Yes the HDFury is directly connected to the projector but it could work also with a cable between the HDFury and the projector. I think that the cable length is more important for the hdmi-dvi cable because the HDFury is powered by the HDMI cable ...

If you want, I'll try it as soon as possible (I've only a 2 meters cable to test ...).

Nico
Yes, please, if you do not mind (at your earliest convenience, no need to hurry). Let me know if you noticed any changes in the signal or picture. You may want to read 6th question from the bottom in HDfury FAQ to see my concern:
AVFury

Thanks a lot!
  (#17) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 10:03 PM

Has anyone had a chance to try out the HDfury on large LCD like over 40" from the Mini10 HDMI to the LCD's vga?

I've read that it improves it alot, any truth to that? Or same choppy quality that the GMA500 gives from HDMI to HDMI?

Mini 1010 - 2 GB RAM - 128GB SSD RunCore Pro IV - HD Screen - Bluetooth - Camera - 6 cell batt - Tiny Win7 Rev1 - Black
  (#18) Old

Default 01-16-2010, 03:37 AM

I have the same problem, don't buy a conversion cable because those don't work. Apparently the device has to support it, which the mini 10 does not.
I really do not want to buy a 100$ adapter though, does anyone know of something cheaper? I dont care about saving quality, I got the gps to use in my carputer (car computer) but the touchscreen is only VGA.
  (#19) Old

Default 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM

I have brought a cable but not yet tried it as it turned out to be a DVI to a digital version of the VGA I now want to see if I can get a digtial to VGA adaptor like people use on screens when they have a digital card but standard screen. I will update if I get anyware with this.

Dell Mini 10 Win 7 U | TV tuner | 3G built in | HD | 160GB 5400 HDD | Office 2010 Beta | Shame the GPS isn't much use

This is the best Travel mate I have had!
  (#20) Old
Administrator

Default 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM

The DVI to VGA adapters only work with DVI outputs that also provide the analog VGA signal on some pins. Most DVI outputs do support this, but not if they are labeled DVI-D. There is a key in the plug and socket that is designed to prevent you from connecting an analog-capable device to a digital-only DVI output.

This isn't going to help you here.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10