Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#21) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 09:29 PM

SammyBoy-

I just tried to install Xubuntu on my M10, which worked fine before (with the patch procedure you described). But the latest Kernel update, to .14, breaks it. Any advice?

- AJ
  (#22) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 09:56 PM

Seems this is happening to quite a few people. Myself included. Luckly I have a duel boot system so when my MINI 1010 boots with Grub I just tell it to use the older 13 kernel instead of the 14 to boot up.
Maybe one of the Ubuntu experts can let us know if the 14 kernel can be used with the fix to add the drivers like we did with 13. I tried using the same guide; but got no results with the 14 kernel. Right now I am just like you; looking for answers. fdalbor
  (#23) Old

Send a message via ICQ to sammyboy405 Send a message via AIM to sammyboy405 Send a message via MSN to sammyboy405 Send a message via Yahoo to sammyboy405
Default 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM

OK 14 did break it. But all is not lost as long as you have not removed 13.

On boot up in Grub select your 13 kernel.

Once booted up into 13
from a terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge autoremove xserver-org-video-psb
sudo apt-get clean
Reboot back into -14

Then you have a couple of options I will go over the easiest just because I think the Audience here maybe limited on *INUX Knowledge. I will post other ways later when I have time.

Booted into the version 14 kernel from a terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-org-video-psb
Reboot and you "Should" be good to go again.

Now Im not guaranteeing this just because im writing this off memory. I dont think there was anythign else I did to get it to work with 14.

However I do have a set of Proceedures im typing up tonight that will use some of the Newer driver that include 3d support. As mentioned earlier in this thread. However since 3d is so unstable Im including ways to fix the unstableness that seem to be working for me.

Im in the process of installing Windows 7 on my Mini 10 Right now but as soon as its done and I have my dual boot set back up I will get on these proceedures.

But the above should work for ya as long as you still have -13 installed and listed in your grub boot list.

Also if there is any Linux folks out there.. Isnt there a way to just tell dkgp to reconfigure xserver-org-video-psb? I swore there was a command or ability to do that. If someone knows it post it. And someone give that a try rather than removing and reinstalling and all the reboots. I Think doing a re-configure on the current package would fix the -14 issues.

Dell Mini 10 (1010) - Kubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 9.04 / Fedora 11 / CentOS 5 / More to Try Later
Do You have GMA 500 Graphics? Want to run Ubuntu 9.04 Here is a Link on How-To and get the best FrameRate possible and the correct Resolution.
Visit my Blog Via Plasma Burn More Updates coming soon to the blog.
  (#24) Old

Send a message via ICQ to sammyboy405 Send a message via AIM to sammyboy405 Send a message via MSN to sammyboy405 Send a message via Yahoo to sammyboy405
Default 07-31-2009, 01:45 AM

Code:
sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg-video-psb
Try that folks while booted into version 14 kernel.

Dell Mini 10 (1010) - Kubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 9.04 / Fedora 11 / CentOS 5 / More to Try Later
Do You have GMA 500 Graphics? Want to run Ubuntu 9.04 Here is a Link on How-To and get the best FrameRate possible and the correct Resolution.
  (#25) Old

Default 07-31-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post
If that where the case then Why does the 10v Play streaming Video Perfectly? My Co-Worker has the 10v and it runs WAY differently than my 10. And he has the Slow Atom Processor.
well, the processors are quite different; I don't think it's a matter of one being slow and one being fast. The N280 seems to be faster overall on general workloads, IMO

Quote:
Ok To Add to my comment above. With all my different installs I forgot about one key thing on Flash. I didn't un-installed the default Firefox Flash Player and Install Adobe's Official Flash. Once I did that Bam! Flash animations is although not perfect but its Usable and Enjoyable now.
uhg, I should have mentioned that. That was something I did from advice in the ubuntu forums.

I will not be modifying my Procedures later to support the remainder driver / firmware support packages for The GMA 500.

Ok so I tested more.. And Wow, is all I can say on the performance. Im Impressed BUT

Quote:
Double Wow to all the random Freezes. And I do mean random. So I Reverted back to 2D Only drivers. I Even Tried some of the xorg.conf fixes for

Even trying out some of the Official Workarounds It didnt help with the freezes. only going back to 2D got rid of the freezes. The freezes wouldnt be as bad if you had some sort of control. Mouse keeps moving.. But No keyboard control. I enabled SSH and was able to ssh in and kill X. but thats a hassel.

Anyways I dont recommed the 3d drivers to anyone that isnt experianced with Linux. Stick with the 2d until there is a good and firm tested fix / patch.
hmm, that's really weird. I haven't had any freezes as long as I don't use any 3d. Did you have compiz effects on? were you running xbmc which uses openGL?

The only time I had freezes were when I was running 3d stuff, even with the 3d X driver loaded.
  (#26) Old

Default 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM

If you have removed release 13 kernel all is not lost here is how to get it back.

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic
Reboot and Make sure you Hit ESC when the grub list posts if your not Dual Booting. So you can Select to boot from -13

Myself and a few others lost Wireless when doing so. here is how to fix that

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
Im still looking into the Re-Install Feature of Aptitude I just haven't had time to break my netbook and play with fixing it.

(#27) Old

Default 07-31-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meecect View Post
hmm, that's really weird. I haven't had any freezes as long as I don't use any 3d. Did you have compiz effects on? were you running xbmc which uses openGL?

The only time I had freezes were when I was running 3d stuff, even with the 3d X driver loaded.
Yea I had all 3d applications off. I Have no need to run any type of 3d on my netbook.

But yea the freezes where so random that I got annoyed with it. But once I added below to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
        Option "DRI" "off"
        Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "DontZap"       "False"
EndSection
The three lines to the device section. I Left the 3d Drivers installed I Still have most of the Performance and no freezes thus far. Now having said that Im going to change the AccelMethod from EXA to UXA but leaving DRI OFF and see what that does. Thats supposed to use the New Kernel Optimization for Intel Graphics But Leaving 3d Features off with the DRI. I will be trying that Later when I get to work.

Also those who are Curious I have the :

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "DontZap"       "False"
EndSection
If you Add that, that will allow you to do a CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart Your X Session. (sometimes saves you from Freezes, Also when you make changes to your xorg.conf you can save yourself a reboot)

So As I go along I will keep adding more information here. And I hope Others do the same. I will also be posting most of this information on my website www.plasmaburn.net as I get time.

(#28) Old

Default lpia or i386 - 07-31-2009, 11:43 PM

something just occured to me...are you using the netbook remix or the standard desktop i386 version?

I have heard that actually the i386 version is a bit better. That's what I'm running, and I've had no freezes EXCEPT when I was screwing around with XBMC and a couple video files I had ( I think it was an mkv with h264 and ac3 sound). It didn't like that combo.

Also, the netbook remix special 'interface' for example is a heavy user of openGL (it's based on clutter, I think).
  (#29) Old

Default 08-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meecect View Post
something just occured to me...are you using the netbook remix or the standard desktop i386 version?

I have heard that actually the i386 version is a bit better. That's what I'm running, and I've had no freezes EXCEPT when I was screwing around with XBMC and a couple video files I had ( I think it was an mkv with h264 and ac3 sound). It didn't like that combo.

Also, the netbook remix special 'interface' for example is a heavy user of openGL (it's based on clutter, I think).
Yea got rid of Remix long time ago.. Once I Found that i386 Worked just the same. So Been running i386 every since.

Actually Im not even Running Ubuntu.. Im actually running Kubuntu mainly. But i have an External HD That I use to be able to use different flavors of Ubuntu / Linux so I can Trouble shoot items.

(#30) Old

Default longshot - 08-01-2009, 02:22 AM

pretty much a wild guess here, but one thing I noticed is that the '3d bug' seemed to be more common if I was accessing my external USB harddrive.

One freeze happened when I was playing a movie off of the USB HD, one freeze when I was playing a movie via xbmc (but the movie was local) and one freeze when I was copying 100GB of movies from my USB drive to my internal drive.

I think I've heard some other people talk about the random freezes having something to do with USB.

I dunno, just a thought.

Tags
display, guide, mini 10, resolution, ubuntu