Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#131) Old

Default 09-30-2010, 10:37 PM

The work around they recommend is mplayer-vaapi.
Which they refer to as a command line program
mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi filename.avi

There are several others that use the GUI interface; but none have been perfected yet. I have not had a chance to try them out yet. I have had no lockups using the driver for gma 500 on the dell mini so I am happy about that. I installed the whole thing on a 8gig USB flash drive using Linuxlive USB flash drive creator with persistance so I could save my work and not worry about crashing windows. Works like a champ. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#132) Old

Send a message via ICQ to sammyboy405 Send a message via AIM to sammyboy405 Send a message via MSN to sammyboy405 Send a message via Yahoo to sammyboy405
Default 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Added Info for installation on 10.10

Dell Mini 10 (1010) - Kubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 9.04 / Fedora 11 / CentOS 5 / More to Try Later
Do You have GMA 500 Graphics? Want to run Ubuntu 9.04 Here is a Link on How-To and get the best FrameRate possible and the correct Resolution.
Visit my Blog Via Plasma Burn More Updates coming soon to the blog.
  (#133) Old

Default 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Glad to see you back Sammyboy; I missed your wit and insights. Take care old friend. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#134) Old

Default 11-14-2010, 07:45 AM

I suggest switching to metacity as your composition manager since compiz slows down scrolling on chrome. Metacity will allow you to use docks like cairo dock without the black box and chrome will scroll smooth.
  (#135) Old

Default 1024 Disply with Ubuntu 11.10 on Dell Mini 1010 - 11-07-2011, 10:13 PM

I thought I'd share my solution...

I too had problems getting my display to work with Ubuntu (very frustrating actually because in involved installing and reinstalling based on some advice...to no avail). The thing that worked for me was installing using the liveCD image from Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - [all variants] Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500 (thanks to lucazade). It was written for Ubuntu 10.04 but it works on my 11.10 version great.

However, there are are couple of tips I'd like to add to save others from 'minor' frustration:

First - After installing with LiveCD image, use the 2D login option because you might not be able to see the desktop icons. My icons seemed to be 'transparent' (I could hover over the areas and see the menu) until I used the 2D login.

Second (optional) - If you want to change your logon wallpaper using Simple LightDM Manger (Simple LightDM Manager *|*Ubuntu Geek), you can't install using Home encryption (I found this out too late and again had to reinstall). It might not be worth it to some to loose the encryption but I had to change my wallpaper to this (Don’t panic, its not Windows – Linux Wallpaper | Linux Wallpapers - High Quality Free Premium Desktop HD Linux Wallpapers & Backgrounds).

Hope this helps some folks!

Tags
display, guide, mini 10, resolution, ubuntu