Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old

Default Multiple questions! - 02-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Hi all,

I thought I might as well pack all my questions into one post in the hope that I might get a reply to one at least!

Firstly, DLNA. Why oh why is this not built in? After being let loose on the excellent Galaxy Tab which has Allshare DNLA built in; I have to say I felt a tinge of regret. Is there a way to get Allshare on the streak? I've tried twonky but it just doesn't want to play anything on my device. Alternatively is there a custom rom which includes a wider range of codecs?

Secondly, Homescreen. Stage is cute and all but its slowing down the UI and I don't really like how it spaces out the widgets to ridiculous proportions. All the other launchers do the same as well. Is there a app/rom that restores the original homescreen to 2.2?

Cheers in advance
  (#2) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Search the market for the Gingerbread launcher or stock launcher, quite a few people have put it up!

Not sure what DNLA is, so can't help you there sorry.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#3) Old

Default 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
Not sure what DNLA is, so can't help you there sorry.
Digital Living Network Alliance

I don't know any tablet that is DNLA compatible besides the Galaxy Tab.
  (#4) Old

Default 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Secondly, Homescreen. Stage is cute and all but its slowing down the UI and I don't really like how it spaces out the widgets to ridiculous proportions. All the other launchers do the same as well. Is there a app/rom that restores the original homescreen to 2.2?

Cheers in advance
Use launcherPro, go to "preferences/homescreen settings" & set the number of both the rows & columns to 10... This will allow you to pack everything closer than any other launcher, including the default.

Also, long press allows you to completely resize most widgets (some work better than others)
  (#5) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the responses, I have found a workaround for the DLNA question, but it isn't entirely elegant.

Download UpnPlay and rockplayer from the marketplace, once in UpnPlay choose the video you want and choose Rockplayer as the renderer, As I say it's not pretty but it will do for now.

In regards to the homescreen, I can't seem to find a launcher that was as perfect as the original one from Dell. Why couldn't they have given us the choice?? Also why change the Notification Bar? The stock Android one looks ridiculous on a 5" screen!

On a separate note, I noticed that the screenshots for the Streak 7 have an app called Video Chat. Does that mean we will get the front facing camera back on our Streak 5's anytime soon?
  (#6) Old

Default 02-13-2011, 05:49 AM

what do you mean get it back?

StreakDroid FTW