Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu 10.04 & Docky - 04-30-2010, 02:32 AM

I'm typing this from Ubuntu 10.04! Granted, I'm at my Acer Revo desktop right now, not the Mini, but the Mini has 10.04 on it as well. (The sleep issue seems to still be around. I know there were possible fixes floating around for 9.10; I didn't pursue any of those, although I will now 'cause I want Ubuntu to become my primary OS.)

I decided to give Docky a go, and really like it...for the most part. Biggest frustration: not all the docklets are available. Specifically, Session Manager, Network Manager, and Show Desktop are missing from the available docklet list. And the weather one doesn't work--it keeps searching for the weather info, never finds it, and hogs the CPU in the process.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#2) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 03:47 PM

FYI, I switched from Docky to AWN and it does everything I want it to without hassle. Also, physically removing the SD card from the Mini allows sleep to function properly in 10.04. I'm sure there is another work around, but this one works just fine for me.

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old

Default 07-17-2010, 02:02 PM

I've been running Mint 9 (a prettier version of Ubuntu) and even after deactivating several start up routines, I still find that running any dock I've tried, slows down LM9. It still haven't a light enough dock that will give me what I am looking for. Most importantly one that doesn't bog down resource. For now stock Mint 9 seems to be the way to go. BTW, I tried AWN, Docky and CD. I would love to try Engage, but can't figure out how to make it work.

Tags
docky, ubuntu 10.04