General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 05:11 AM

I have one of these lying around my house- the Sony VRDMC5 DVDirect DVD Recorder (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VRDMC5-DVDir ... =de_a_smtd). Does anyone know if this would work as an external DVD Drive that I can use for the Type11 method?

Thanks!

Dell Mini 9 - Alpine White, 16 GB SSD, 1 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard (Type11 method)
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 05:28 AM

If you have it laying around, go ahead and try and use it, nothing to lose. Even drives that should work are hit and miss.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 05:34 AM

Uch. It apparently doesnt connect to PCs. Oh well.

Does anyone know of where I could pick up a cheap external DVD Drive, that has proven to be compatible with Type11?

Dell Mini 9 - Alpine White, 16 GB SSD, 1 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard (Type11 method)
  (#4) Old

Angry Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM

after attempting and failing with a cheap chinese no-name portable, I got one of these from my local pc world (uk) and it worked a treat

http://www.stuff4gamers.com/lgge20dv...0b2e4e3df05b26

Desperately waiting for a wwan, hd & hackintosh capable netbook to be launched in the uk and getting grumpy.....
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 02:32 PM

If you don't like that one, the ones that I/O Magic supply are nice as well. You can find them at Dell's website, and although a little expensive, they also include non-free software such as Nero, and other DVD software that usually costs money.

If you can manage to find the drive without the software, it should decrease the cost dramatically. The software probably costs as much as the external drive itself.

I would link you to the exact external drive I use, but I got it as a gift this holiday season. If I manage to find the exact one, I'll edit it into this post, I think I remember seeing a receipt.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 03:18 PM

Be careful which drive you use if your intention is to load OS X. I bought the I/O Magic portable CD/DVD-RW Drive from Dell that is hocked when you order a new Mini 9 (Dell Part# : A1970927). It did NOT load OS X for me. It would load the iso file just fine, but would not read a Retail version of OS X 10.5.4.

I ended up using a Sony one that was more expensive but was advertised as being "Mac Compatible."

Check this post for more info:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/view...hp?f=11&t=1819

Former owner of... (sold through this site)
Dell Mini 9
Other Mods - 2Gb RAM, RunCore "64"Gb SSD, Dell Wireless 1505 b/g/n, Dell Bluetooth, US "Int'l" Keyboard
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM

I found I had no luck with 2 USB powered DVD drives. However, after trying 3 different externally powered DVD drives (all worked fine) thats what I would suggest if you want to try installing OSX retail.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2244
Quote:
Be careful which drive you use if your intention is to load OS X. I bought the I/O Magic portable CD/DVD-RW Drive from Dell that is hocked when you order a new Mini 9 (Dell Part# : A1970927). It did NOT load OS X for me. It would load the iso file just fine, but would not read a Retail version of OS X 10.5.4.

I ended up using a Sony one that was more expensive but was advertised as being "Mac Compatible."

I too had the same issue with the portable drive from Dell. It works to play movies after the install, and had no problems with the ISO 132 disk, but would not read the retail Leopard Disk. I ended up getting a big clunky external CD / DVD drive at my local Walmart ($79.00 after taxes) and it worked just fine. Can't remember the brand name off hand. I fiugure I'll hold on to it in casre I ever need to do a re-install.

Dell Mini 9 / 2GB RAM / RunCore 64GB SSD / Mac OS X 10.6.3 - NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 - BIOS A02
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-30-2008, 12:12 AM

OK, back home now. It is a LITE-ON EZ-Dub external DVD RW. Model EZAU120-096. At Walmart for less than $80.

Dell Mini 9 / 2GB RAM / RunCore 64GB SSD / Mac OS X 10.6.3 - NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 - BIOS A02
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Will this work as External DVD Drive - 12-30-2008, 01:33 AM

I have never heard a DVD drive not being OS X compatible. o_O

I bought a slimline Samsung DVD burner from NewEgg for $50 and it works great. I think they've marked up the price since then, though.

-Philip