Dell Streak Apps Discussion on Android apps and games on the Dell Streak go here.

(#1) Old

Thumbs up Ubuntu One - 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Ubuntu is a "cloud" storage site somewhere in the sky, over England.

Whilst I think Google Plus might do similar things when it gets going, this is worth using in the meantime.

Ubuntu seems to be a bevy of different applications in Linux - on which android is based, as far as I know.

In any case, whoever runs Ubuntu (Canonical), is likely to be around for a very long time, so I am sure you can send your photos and files to their cloud, without worrying about them disappearing.

Anyhow, my photos in Gallery just went "poof",and were in the cloud in seconds. I set the system to automatically send any new photos to the cloud as soon as taken.

There is a little + sign when the application is open, to add other files.

As soon as you open Ubuntu, you see immediately details of your photos, etc. Press one to retrieve it.

You can access your photos etc. by phone or computer, anywhere in the world. You are given 2 GB of space in the cloud for free, and can buy more space.

As far as I know, the free space is not a trial.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Ubuntu One Personal Cloud the freedom to access and enjoy your content your wayUbuntu One’s files app for Android gives you the freedom to take your files, photos and more with you and access them on the fly. An Ubuntu One account is needed and you get the basics plus 2GB of storage for free. Once set up just simply download our free Android Files app and you can secure and manage your photos, files and folders directly from your phone anywhere in the world. Ubuntu One files app once installed will automatically back up photographs taken from Android phone camera directly to your Ubuntu One personal cloud. Giving you peace of mind knowing that all the photos on your mobile are backed up and available for you to share. To share simply tap and hold on a file or photo you want to share and instantly post it straight to Facebook, Twitter, or your blog.
If you need help or to report a problem please use the
Menu > Settings > 'Send feedback' option to contact us.

So, once having sent sent your files to the cloud, you can delete them from your SD card.

You will also find that Ubuntu has lots of other developer type apps on the Market.

And whilst checking Ubuntu via the link I provided, - visit the Developer's site for more details and FAQ.

Last edited by Australian; 07-19-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added to
  (#2) Old

Red face Ubuntu One - 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM

One small problem in allowing Ubuntu to send new photos to the Cloud automatically, may be that as it does not show thumbnails in it's list of uploaded images, you might not be able to easily identify which photos are which. However, you can opt for disabling automatic uploading.

There is an option to rename an image, using the Menu button for options, but this did not make the keyboard active, to actually do it.

Whilst most images you might save from the Net have a description, and this is therefore shown in Ubuntu, I am not sure whether, when you take your own photos, there is the capability of naming them. I tried today, and can see no way of naming photos on the phone. Same also with IPhone.

And by the way, you can delete photos uploaded to Ubuntu directly from the Cloud, by holding down the particular item.

You can also upload videos and other files.

Whilst sending things to the Cloud seems very fast, - if you have lousy, patchy, constipated 3G service, such as Optus provides, you might be waiting quite a while to retrieve anything from the Cloud. But when your service is working normally, a download is quite fast.

The sending side of things to the Cloud has been sped up 200 times, according to some of their blurb. Too bad it doesn't work as fast the other way.

*** I noticed that photos do not go to the cloud as soon as taken, they seem to take to the Cloud the next time you use the Ubuntu application.

And for those images you want to download from the Cloud to view, you will get an image identical to the original, you can rotate etc. if you select Gallery to view it in. If you select Image Viewer, the image shows a string of other other photos you stored in the Cloud at the bottom, and you can click on any and they seem to appear straight away. But, Image Viewer seems to only allow one zoom size, and no rotation.

Last edited by Australian; 07-20-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Added to ...
  (#3) Old

Default 07-26-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Whilst most images you might save from the Net have a description, and this is therefore shown in Ubuntu, I am not sure whether, when you take your own photos, there is the capability of naming them. I tried today, and can see no way of naming photos on the phone. Same also with IPhone.
There is a gallery app called QuickPic which allows you to rename any pic on your phone. It is far nicer and more powerful than the stock gallery & allows you to move & sort your photos & exclude those annoying app and temp folders that constantly clutter the stock gallery.

It is all I use to manage my pics & videos now
  (#4) Old

Red face Ubuntu One - 07-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Thanks for that, I will look that one up.

It would be good to be able to name your own photos.

Tags
cloud, cloud storage, send to cloud, ubuntu one