Dell Streak Apps Discussion on Android apps and games on the Dell Streak go here.

(#1) Old

Default Movie playback with subtitles - 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Aight guys, I have done a good bit of tinkering but I haven't had much luck yet...

What I'm trying to do is watch a movie on my Streak with subtitles...

I have read several guides and followed the instructions... rip the iso to Video_TS folder and all that jazz, and I even choose the options to include the subtitles with both Xilisoft convertor and also Handbrake... well, I don't see the subtitles, even when I convert the movie having them "burned in" as the option specifies...

Now, I decided to use vplayer because it is supposed to let me choose which subtitles and it hasn't worked either, plus the playback and audio aren't synced...

I will mention this, the native player on my Streak plays the movie just fine, in 4:3 format (no matter what ratio I choose when I convert, using the native android movie player it always plays back in 4:3), although with no subtitles but the audio and video are in sync...

With vplayer, it will playback in the aspect ration it was supposedly converted to, and I can even choose subtitles, but I can't see them on the screen, playback is choppy and not in sync...

Hope I have made myself somewhat clear... any suggestions or pointing me to a definitive guide on maybe how to do what I want would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks guys ahead of time!!!
  (#2) Old

Red face Movie Playback With Subtitles - 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM

I believe you will find MoboPlayer plays with subtitles.

Much better player than the stock player.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks Australian, I am using MOBO and MX, both use subtitles but I think I am the one doing something wrong in the conversion. I can place the srt files in the same folder as my converted movie and choose it and have subtitles, but I want the subtitles to be integrated with the conversion and pick which one to use when I watch the movie, not have to have it in a separate file apart from the movie
  (#4) Old

Red face Movie Playback With Subtitles - 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM

I am not sure how you are sourcing your movies, but if from DVDs, then Magic DVD Ripper (which isn't an app.) adds the subtitles.

So, the movies are converted to MP4 with subtitles on the conversion.

I use Magic DVD Ripper, but have not tried the subtitles feature.

If you are downloading them off the Net, - then this won't help.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
I am not sure how you are sourcing your movies, but if from DVDs, then Magic DVD Ripper (which isn't an app.) adds the subtitles.

So, the movies are converted to MP4 with subtitles on the conversion.

I use Magic DVD Ripper, but have not tried the subtitles feature.

If you are downloading them off the Net, - then this won't help.
Im using ISOs from my own movies... I travel alot so I keep original DVDs at home... with DVD ripper you can use the ISO... just have to mount it and then import the video TS folder... trying it now but if it works the only gripe would be that it only allows for one subtitle selection and only has a couple mp4 options
  (#6) Old

Default 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM

No luck with ripper either.... guess I'll get used to using a subtitles file
  (#7) Old

Red face Movie Playback With Subtitles - 08-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Before you give up, have a look at the app. called BSPlayer Lite.

I note the reviewers claim to be watching subtitles in all kinds of languages, even Arabic.
  (#8) Old

Default 08-18-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Before you give up, have a look at the app. called BSPlayer Lite.

I note the reviewers claim to be watching subtitles in all kinds of languages, even Arabic.
I installed it and it gives me an error loading the subtitles, so like I say, there must be some little something that I'm setting up quite right when I convert.

I have been through all kinds of guides and still get errors, but I'm not giving up just yet