Dell Streak Apps Discussion on Android apps and games on the Dell Streak go here.

(#1) Old

Angry Slight Problem With Password Manager Apps - 07-27-2011, 06:18 AM

Whilst I am very happy with UPM as a totally stand alone no permssions App. - I encountered a problem, no fault of the app itself.

Because I have long been displeased with Optus 3G data delivery, I called by their shop at the Mall and was given a new sim card.

I installed it, turned the phone on, only to find Webroot Security locked the phone when the sim card was changed.

Problem is the password etc for Webroot is in the UPM app. on the SC card.

So, if you have Webroot, and you use a password manager app. - you will need to also keep their password written down on paper, or in your computer.

At least it demonstrates that if your phone was lost/stolen, placing any other sim card it, will not activate it.

I sent a message to Webroot Support.

*** I spoke to Dell's technical support in the Philippines, or India, - wherever, and they don't really know much about why the 3G data connection was so poor.

I was told that I live in a black hole area, even though there were many towers. Actually I live on a very high hill, and have wonderful digital TV reception to all channels using a small amplified internal antenna.

The Optus shop today didn't know how to check, what to do, so they gave me a new sim card.
  (#2) Old

Default 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
*** I spoke to Dell's technical support in the Philippines, or India, - wherever, and they don't really know much about why the 3G data connection was so poor.
It's not the fault of the Streak...it is Optus...I have the same issue. Not just on the Streak, but also on my wife's Galaxy S and the Nokia N series I used while my screen was being fixed.

I put in a technical complaint, but haven't heard back yet.
  (#3) Old

Red face Slight Problem With Password Manager App - Webroot - 07-29-2011, 02:25 AM

Thanks Jesusfreak for your comments on Optus.

I haven't had a chance to check the new sim card, as I have just managed to get the phone unlocked from Webroot.

Whereas I got virtually no help from Webroot in the US, I can't be thankful enough to Armando in their Sydney Office who despite their office being for commercial applications, took a personal interest and spent a lot of time on the problem of unlocking the phone.

Thanks Armando!

Just make sure whatever security software you choose, keep a copy of the password on paper & not solely in a password safe app.

If you do the latter and something goes wrong, you can't access your password.

An interesting thing, when I was able to get back into the phone and check in the UPM app to see what my former password was, it was one I did think to try several times during the lock down. However, it seems that changing the sim card may have caused the password to not activate. So, I think there is a glitch in the Webroot app.

Last edited by Australian; 07-29-2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: After thought