Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old

Default Home Screen On 2.2 - 12-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Hi All,

Just upgraded to 2.2 and whilst I love the new functionality - I hate the home screen layout. On 1.6 it looked really well done and I was able to layout my widgets in a way that really made use of the available screen. Now this seems impossible and however I arrange things it still sucks as the widgets appear stretched and there are huge spaces between them. I could kid myself that this was a tablet on 1.6 - 2.2 just makes it just look like a huge phone.

Anybody managed to create a great looking homescreen? Are there replacement UIs I could use?

Thanks,

Mike
  (#2) Old

Default 12-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Hey buddy, exactly same question I wanted to ask, I simply hate the home screens arrangements, as you said loved the way it was with 1.6, 2.1. The current crap is neither portrait nor landscape (subjective opinion).

With every "update" Dell goes 10 steps back and two steps forward - why ?
Rather than enhancing the features users love and adding new, the idiots take out the good bits and relapse with either nothing or less than before features, and then call it an Upgrade - (subjective opinion)

People do talk about some app call ADW launcher - i have never been able locate this in app market. Can somebody point me in the right direction.

Or is there any other App that has same features as 1.6/2.1 screens arrangements.

Thanks guys/girls
  (#3) Old

Default 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Me to at first but i deleted everything, then just added widgets/icons to make my home screen as it was wid 1.6,i done the same when i down loaded 2.1. Multicon is a usefull app for gettin more on each home page .kevo77
  (#4) Old

Default 12-16-2010, 12:18 PM

Yeah, Multicon is brilliant at getting more on each screen but it's still really annoying that in landscape mode you see the ones from the next screen and so lose out on that space.
  (#5) Old

Default 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM

I agree, hate the new home screen.

I can not lay it out anywhere near how I used to. Really annoying. Wallpapers look pixelated and you can not any where near as much on a screen as you could. What were they thinking?

Will try multicon to see if this helps.
  (#6) Old

Default 12-16-2010, 01:57 PM

OK. Sorted...

Now using LauncherPro - this gives me the screen density plus a number of other cool features.

Very happy now.. :-)
  (#7) Old

Default 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM

u can use either ADW launcher or launcherpro...

I use ADW since it allows me to lock the screen in portrait mode...

U cant go wrong with either
  (#8) Old

Default 12-18-2010, 08:45 AM

Here's mine, utilising LauncherPro:

=======================
Once again a proud Streak Owner