General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#421) Old

Question Mini 1012 and 10.6.4 - 08-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
For now, mini 1012 is only supported by NBI 0.8.4 pre. honestly, there is no chance for updating to 10.6.4.

I have successfully updated it to 10.6.4 in the past, as well as a couple of other forum members in the "Dell Mini 1012 and OS X" thread using NBI 0.8.4pre.

I currently have it semi-working. I have to boot from the Chameleon on my NBBM 0.8.4pre Install flash drive, and I get KP when plugging in my bluetooth.

So that leads me to believe, it's either the bootloader on the NBBM stick that is letting me boot into 10.6.4, or perhaps the extensions that load with NBBM?

Should I start a thread for 10.6.4 on the mini 1012 as to not hijack this thread? Or is there already a thread for that and I didn't notice?
  (#422) Old

Default 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM

Hi everyone

I bought a Dellmini 10v and its been working fine since June but the GF just updated it and now getting this error every time we boot up.

Mac OS version
Not Set Yet

Kernel Version
Darwin Kernal Version 10.4.0
Inspiron 1011

System nanoseconds 181720352

Is there anyway to save this, and save the data on it?

Tried the shift and recovery=y method but thats just putting it back in the same place

thanks

(I'm not 100% sure what to do so any help would be appreciated)
  (#423) Old

Default 08-10-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark425 View Post
I have successfully updated it to 10.6.4 in the past, as well as a couple of other forum members in the "Dell Mini 1012 and OS X" thread using NBI 0.8.4pre.

I currently have it semi-working. I have to boot from the Chameleon on my NBBM 0.8.4pre Install flash drive, and I get KP when plugging in my bluetooth.

So that leads me to believe, it's either the bootloader on the NBBM stick that is letting me boot into 10.6.4, or perhaps the extensions that load with NBBM?

Should I start a thread for 10.6.4 on the mini 1012 as to not hijack this thread? Or is there already a thread for that and I didn't notice?
Yes, maybe you should start a new thread.
  (#424) Old

Default 08-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
***UPDATED 10.6.4 Upgrade Instructions***
1) Install this version of NBI (From post 67): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
2) Install the 10.6.4 update.
3) Once it reboots, you should see the NBI logo at boot. Be patient until it reboots (takes a while).

If you've already installed 10.6.4 with the old version of NBI and are getting a kernel panic, follow these instructions:

1) Boot up holding down the shift key. At the grey screen with your boot disc, type recovery=y. You should see this show up in the bottom left corner of the screen. Hit enter. This should let your machine boot into recovery mode, without lots of extensions loaded.
2) Run the new version of NBI from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
3) Reboot. You should be good to go now!

If for whatever reason you can't get the New NBI on your netbook, you can fix the issue that caused the KP by decreasing the size of your kernel extensions. Boot into recovery mode and then open the Terminal from your /Applications/Utilities folder. Type "cd /System/Library/Extensions" and hit enter. Then type "sudo rm -rf NVD* ATI* GeForce* AppleIntelGMAX3100*" and hit enter. Run NBI, reboot, and you should be good!
I just got my Mini 10v and did a fresh Snow Leopard install without too many hang ups. After getting into OSX for the first time, I ran software update and upgraded to 10.6.4, then rebooted.

During the reboot, it reached the apple screen and just hung there. I left it for about 45 min before shutting it down and doing some research. I came across this post, followed the instructions, and I was back up and running with 10.6.4 within 20 minutes or so!

Perfect tutorial; quick and easy. Thanks!!
  (#425) Old

Default 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuie View Post
I just got my Mini 10v and did a fresh Snow Leopard install without too many hang ups. After getting into OSX for the first time, I ran software update and upgraded to 10.6.4, then rebooted.

During the reboot, it reached the apple screen and just hung there. I left it for about 45 min before shutting it down and doing some research. I came across this post, followed the instructions, and I was back up and running with 10.6.4 within 20 minutes or so!

Well, after reading your post, I'm going to give it a try. There has been so much discouraging information that I decided to leave and let be. I'm going for it, but really, I'm just hoping for the new scrolling, nothing else.
  (#426) Old

Default 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

What happens if you cannot get into recovery mode?
  (#427) Old

Default 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM

So I'm done, but now my Wifi won't turn on. It is grayed out, and says not configured. Any ideas?? I've gone into the BIOS and turned it on and off a few times, but nada.
  (#428) Old

Default 08-11-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesagwa View Post
One problem I've had since updating is that when I close the lid to sleep, it will go to sleep, the light will flash as usual, but when I open the lid again the screen stays black. Hitting space or hitting the power button doesn't work, I have to do a hard reboot.
I've had it, but not to do with the update - try disabling USB Legacy Support in your BIOS.
That worked for me.
I had the same problem, disabled USB legacy support and now the screen comes back on However, I can't access any of the icons (bt, wifi, clock, etc.) at the top - when I mouse over all I get is the spinning beach ball

I'm now trying to reboot it however it's stuck on a blue screen with a lone gray spinner... might have to hard reboot it.

EDIT: IT WORKS! Just had to upgrade the BIOS to A06, and disable legacy USB support.
  (#429) Old

Default 08-11-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuie View Post

Likewise, also new here and just got a Mini 10v. Tried to update to 10.6.4 but got stuck at spinning Apple logo screen on reboot, but now working

I guess the version of Netbook installer on this page - Downloads - netbook-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code is wrong?
  (#430) Old

Default 08-11-2010, 01:38 AM

So I did a fresh install and followed the steps.

I notice I had problem once I started playing around with Bluetooth mod to allow it to turn on and off.

Currently, after I had KP, I reinstalled snow leopard over the drive, without clearing it out.

The RC1 works but the new netbookinstaller gets me into KP, even when I don't have upgrade installed.

I would really like to get past this. Anyone have any suggestion?

I will try turning bluetooth off on bios and try again.

Thanks in advance

Mac OS X 10.5.7, Bios A05, DellEFI 1.2a5, 2 GB Memory, 32 GB Runcore, Integrated 1.3 Megapixel video + Bluetooth (fixed on/off), , GMA booster, VoodooPower (proper steps), TouchPad Kext 18. GeekBench 920