Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Question Dell mini 9 needs help! - 10-22-2019, 10:37 PM

Hi All,

I have been chasing some way of using this little computer for many years but am unable to figure it out. I'd love to hackintosh it, I have the snow leopard disc, but all the supporting software to make that happen is gone. I even still have everything to do a hackintosh on the 10v but have no idea if the same thing would work on the 9.

Might anyone have any old leftover software that does work I could buy? I have hackintoshed several mini 10's and sent them on to others. I'd even be willing to put xp back on it if that was possible.

I hate to put this little one in the trash. I have ubuntu on it now and have installed more ram but just don't want to take the time to learn a new OS.

Any advice, input?

Thank you very much for reading.

Last edited by labrat; 10-22-2019 at 11:26 PM.
  (#2) Old

Default 02-06-2020, 09:53 PM

Edit: As of right now, you can get the osx.mechdrew.com site in the wayback machine. Here's a direct link to the netbookbootmaker file. https://web.archive.org/web/20111125...%20RC1.app.zip

Hey, I figured I'd go ahead and reply since no one else has and it's been months. If you've still got the thing and still want to use it, here is some advice/possibilities:

1. Learn linux. It's really not that bad and is probably the best bet for old hardware that was pretty limited when it was new. I don't know what you've got in your mini 9 but mine's still got the original 8gb ssd it came with. The distro I'd recommend at this point would be regular old debian stable or the Raspberry Pi Desktop.

2. Use XP. I don't have anything I could sell you but finding a clean usable copy at this point should be relatively easy. This is a poor option at this point if you expect to connect to the internet at all. There are a lot of unpatched exploits for XP and no updated browsers or antivirus will support it.

3. Go back through all the old posts here and over at the hackintoshing forums to try to reverse engineer how to get snow leopard installed. Snow Leopard is just as unsupported at this point as XP. There is no browser support for it and it hasn't gotten security updates in years. It also takes significant customization to the installer to get it to fit even the 16gb ssd that came with the higher priced version of the Dell Mini 9. I also was never able to get 10.6.8 to run on mine. I think I capped out at 10.6.3. It also didn't work that well. At this point you can get an old core 2 duo macbook for less than $100 if you really want to run an older Mac OS X.

I've had this thing since it was new and mine has run many different OS's over the years. Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist.

Last edited by ubuntufanXD; 02-06-2020 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added link
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 02-08-2020, 12:33 AM

Windows 10 works fine on the Mini 9. That's what I have on it. No need for XP. But, yeah, Linux may be a better option for many. That the 9 is 32-bit restricts you a lot.

Steve
  (#4) Old

Default 05-14-2020, 12:50 AM

Running Tiny7 here with 2gb ram and the original 16gb STEC SSD, much better than a default Win7 install and probably your best bet I think. Currently at around 8gb with a fair bit of software installed so would work on an 8gb SSD if you are a bit more frugal than me. The generic synaptic driver works with it and supports two finger scrolling.

I also have a dual Micro SD adapter in the WWAN slot (you can solder one in if yours is missing as mine was), currently 2 x 64gb cards in there so no problem with internal storage. Still use mine for playing old games and casual use.

Dell Mini 9, 2gb ram, 16gb STEC, 2x64gb internal Micro SD via mPCI-e adapter on WWAN socket, running Tiny7