General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Exclamation a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM

All:

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. With the help of this forum, I now have the perfect computer!

OSX 10.5.6--my retail version and the downloaded update (after reading UnaClocker's Why not MSIWind method? ... well written BTW... and uninstalling the MSIWind version yada yada...)--and VMware Fusion with XP Pro.

On the OSX side I have Adium, Firefox, iPhoto, OpenOffice and some other minor programs...
On the XP side I have Frontpage, Garmin City Select, Picasa and ClamWin.

I have two gigs of RAM and a 64 gig RunCore (thanks again to the forums for that...).

Given all that, I am quite pleased to report I have just over 46 gigs of free space... though admittedly, I have no documents to speak of stored on the computer yet, and I keep my photos on a USB-powered 320 Maxtor.

The only thing left to figure out is sleep/wake. I'm sure there's a documented answer in here somewhere... I'll get to it later. Right now I am just damned giddy.

Oh yeah, XP Pro running in VMware is very fast. I've never used Parallels, but I don't see any degraded performance at all...

Again... THANKS!!! to everyone who has taken the time to contribute... I have learned so much!

I'll close by saying it's damned impressive to have XP running in full-screen mode and with a thumb click on mouse button number 4 on my Bluetooth mouse switch Spaces to reveal the Mac OS. Just damned impressive... I don't care who you are.

Peace.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 04:39 AM

Sleep is in the latest - just make sure USB Legacy and USB Wake are disabled in BIOS.

Mini 9, OS X 10.5.7, 64GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, BT, Cam - My MacBook Nano
Mini 9, Ubuntu 8.0.4, 16GB STEC, 1GB RAM, Cam - My spare
  (#3) Old

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 04:42 AM

i would just like to add my thanks for all the hard work of everyone here
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM

You can now move Picasa from XP to OS X!!! Google just released a native OS X Picasa 3 beta application!

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#5) Old

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaltais
You can now move Picasa from XP to OS X!!! Google just released a native OS X Picasa 3 beta application!
HELL YEAH!
  (#6) Old

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace
Sleep is in the latest - just make sure USB Legacy and USB Wake are disabled in BIOS.
That was it! I didn't have USB Legacy turned off in the BIOS. Now that it is, all is good!

My last part of this puzzle to solve is switching the ; : and " ' keys... but at this point, it is only a minor issue... one that can easily be solved by retraining my fingers.

Thanks so much all!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Order the US-Intl keyboard. It's well well worth the $18.
  (#8) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Yeah, I have the INTL keyboard, and love it, I was afraid the small key size might be an issue, since I have average size hands, but nope, I can even type better on this in the dark than the original, since I'm not constantly searching for the ' key.. And having a ~ and a | key are very handy for the terminal..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#9) Old

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-07-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrmore100
Order the US-Intl keyboard. It's well well worth the $18.
Dear God!

I tried the chat route... twice.

The first Dell chat rep told it was not possible for me to order the keyboard, but told me to contact Dell technical support via a toll-free number and they could help.
I called the number and was left on hold while waiting to talk to someone...

Next chat (while on hold 'cause I was friggin bored!)...
This chat rep told me the keyboard was not available. I said, "yes it is... yada yada... mydellmini forum... yada yada..." The rep came back and said it was available but not in stock. He would contact me once it was in stock.... took my phone number, blah blah blah...

Somewhere in the middle of the second chat I got pissy and hung up while waiting for a tech support person.

Frustrated, I simply dialed the 1 800 WWW DELL number... took just a minute to get someone on the phone from "parts." Dood was very nice... took the order... ship date is "on or before the 12th of January."

Good thing I'm persistent I reckon.

I guess my experience lends itself to the Top Dell execs leave as PC maker restructures article UnaClocker posted...

Two chat sessions and two phone calls to order a $14 keyboard. I'm thinking it cost Dell more than $14 to cover the wages and 800 charges to complete my order...

I digress.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: a HUGE Thanks to all... OSX, VMware Fusion, XP Pro... - 01-07-2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks for this grate forum Unaclocker, Type11 for the software and all the people that has developed this project. Km9 for the audio drivers and the nice people in the forum. This Apple Mini rocks!!