Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#111) Old

Default Pictures in the guide? - 08-26-2009, 12:36 AM

I have been messing around with the GPS reciever and Ubuntu and after messing around with scripting in Ubuntu to make the GPS chip work and become automated and getting everything to work beautifully using the external usb port, I started today to move the parts to inside and came back to this guide for reference and to my horror and saw the pictures gone.

Could somebody re-post/link to the original pictures or create new pictures as I am unsure where to make the solder points and which side of the GPS chip to point skyward? I am also unsure how to remove the usb slot at the end to expose the wires. The pictures will be greatly appreciated.
  (#112) Old

Default 08-26-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
Could somebody re-post/link to the original pictures
fixed
  (#113) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 10:47 PM

I just purchased the GT-730f on sale for $29.90 shipped here Cheap canmore gt 730f Canmore GT-730F USB GPS Stick gt 730f Dongle canmore gt 730f (Free US Standard Shipping)

Enjoy. I am planning a solderless hoda touchsreen with this hooked up to one of the extra USB ports it provides. I'll post pictures.
  (#114) Old

Default 01-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Has anyone, aside from the original poster, had success with reception when the GPS is installed in the case?

Desktop:
Mac OS X 10.6.2, Lian-Li PC-B10, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10H, Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.78GHz, 6GB RAM @ 1520MHz, GTX 260_216 896MB RAM, Dell WFP-2407HC, Quickcam Vision Pro
Notebook:
Mac OS X 10.6.2, MacBook, Intel Core Duo @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Wireless-N, 120GB 7200RPM HD
Netbook:
Mac OS X 10.6.2, Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom @ 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, Wireless-N, 32GB SSD, 32GB + 16GB SDHC, 32GB USB key for Time Machine, 1.3MP Webcam
  (#115) Old

Default 01-05-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayana View Post
Has anyone, aside from the original poster, had success with reception when the GPS is installed in the case?
Can't say that I've had much luck. I've got the Hoda touchscreen controller kit and I get a great signal outside of the case, but as soon as I put it under the palmrest, the signal dies. I removed all of the foil around the area and put electrical tape on the GPS device except for the antenna square and still no luck inside the case. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this to work it would be greatly appreciated.
  (#116) Old

Default Canmore on window - 01-05-2010, 10:09 PM

Was anyone able to install this gps device and get it working on Windows 7?

I believe I have all the wiring correct (power/ground to Touchpad, USB to touchscreen hub). I've installed the vista driver for the gps, but it still comes up as unknown device and when manually installing the driver it doesn't do anything.

I've read somewhere (eeeuser forum?) that in windows 7 drivers should be ran under admin or with compatibility mode. Anyone done this?

My only thought is that I have USB wires swapped but when I did that W7 kept poping up saying that there was an unknown device that was failing to work.

Any thoughts?

OP- how did you get it to work?

Mini9 Black, 16 GB SSD, WC, BT.
Projects- TS, GPS, Accelerometer.
  (#117) Old

Unhappy 01-10-2010, 04:29 AM

I tried wrapping the GPS in foil (except for the antenna) to isolate it from the RF signals inside the netbook, but that didn't help make it work. I don't know how anyone has gotten this to work at all, I'm pretty sure that it is going to have to stay external to work properly.
  (#118) Old

Default 11-07-2010, 07:15 AM

the dells 5530 has a GPS buiolt in just gotta install the driver for it
  (#119) Old

Default 09-19-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for this great info!

Regards,

JOSE
  (#120) Old

Default 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

A little while later, is anyone from TeamMRB still reading these?