Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old

Default Malware targetting unofficial releases - 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Watch out if you're using an unofficial release ... the private keys are usually known due to the OSS nature of unofficial releases, hence malware can take advantage.
Android malware targets unofficial releases- The Inquirer

Steve should know whether this is a potential issue for his releases, I have no idea myself.
  (#2) Old

Red face Malware targetting unofficial releases - 06-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Yes, your advice is always timely. If it isn't from the Market, where you can read other users' comments, - skip it.

And, a good antivirus is so important. One that can scans for malware as Apps. are downloaded, and which performs on demand scans.

Don't go for Antivirus Apps. which are not offered by well known mainstream PC product producers.

The little unknown App. makers will not have the resources or know how to be working on new malware definitions every day of the year.

So, Webroot & Bitdefender are my too main contenders to have. As Norton runs feral on your PC when you don't renew your subscription, it should be avoided in my opinion. Though at least they offering a free service for Android, so probably no problem.

I run 3 and they do not conflict. Those two, and "Anti Virus Free". It is one of the "unknowns", but seems to work well checking dowloads, and is well commented on.
  (#3) Old

Default 06-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Yes, your advice is always timely. If it isn't from the Market, where you can read other users' comments, - skip it.

And, a good antivirus is so important. One that can scans for malware as Apps. are downloaded, and which performs on demand scans.

Don't go for Antivirus Apps. which are not offered by well known mainstream PC product producers.

The little unknown App. makers will not have the resources or know how to be working on new malware definitions every day of the year.

So, Webroot & Bitdefender are my too main contenders to have. As Norton runs feral on your PC when you don't renew your subscription, it should be avoided in my opinion. Though at least they offering a free service for Android, so probably no problem.

I run 3 and they do not conflict. Those two, and "Anti Virus Free". It is one of the "unknowns", but seems to work well checking dowloads, and is well commented on.

How does BitDefender works? does it automatically send data and store on a cloud server at each scan? Curious.
  (#4) Old

Red face Malware targeting unofficial releases - 06-19-2011, 01:40 AM

I don't really know, but it seems to be a new technology - apart from just a server somewhere else.

BitDefender Mobile Security is a lightweight solution for Android devicesBitDefender Mobile Security (BETA) is a next-gen antivirus solution for Android devices focused on little (to zero) system or battery impact while providing access to a number of security functions in order to help you have a safer and more informed Android experience.
Currently in BETA, we’re aiming at validating a small array of features while, in background, we’re working hard on adding a host of new functionalities to add extra layers of security for your device. Our main focus is to provide as much as possible while sticking to a very strict policy in terms of performance and battery impact.
Key Features:
- Very small battery or performance impact
- On-demand malware scanner, relying fully on Cloud technology (read: no updates required)
- On-install scan - a hook on the application install event allows us to scan each application the moment it gets installed
- Security Audit - Have you ever wondered how many applications installed on your device have been granted permission to access your private data ? Or connect to the internet ? Or send text messages ? The Security Audit screen grants you the possibility to have an overview on what applications match various permissions.

I like the light on battery aspect of it too.

BitDefender is ranked about No.1 as best PC antivirus product, compared to all others on the market.

So, I have no problem believing what they say.

It does scan all Apps. being downloaded, and sends a notification that they are clean.
  (#5) Old

Default Malware Targeting Unofficial Releases - 06-19-2011, 05:30 AM

O.K. so maybe anti virus suites could not pick up on this previously.

But the real players in the industry like Webroot, BitDefender and Norton will have had a fix for this by now. They are very quick to add new definitions.

Just run your on demand anti virus scanners a few times a week for a little while. Just to make sure the new definitions to block and remove "Plankton" have been added in on demand scans.

I have just removed a clone of the page I had right here, as it was probably copyright, and oddly I can't find that page to give a link.

But this link tells the same story ...about "Plankton". Don't let any get into your phone, and you probably won't if you have a couple of anti virus program checking what you download.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06...till_insecure/

Last edited by Australian; 06-19-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Removed probable copyright article clone
  (#6) Old

Red face Malware Targeting Unofficial Releases - 06-19-2011, 07:54 AM

Here is a list of 50 dangerous android Apps.

I don't know if this is an old or new article.

I will only add a link, as the page may be Copyright. I am sure the Market is quite happy to have extra coverage, but perhaps not so with privateers.

The 50 Most Dangerous Android Applications

Those with blocks for titles will be Chinese, and unless you are Chinese, it is unlikely you will have downloaded these.
  (#7) Old

Default 06-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Here is a list of 50 dangerous android Apps.

I don't know if this is an old or new article.

I will only add a link, as the page may be Copyright. I am sure the Market is quite happy to have extra coverage, but perhaps not so with privateers.

The 50 Most Dangerous Android Applications

Those with blocks for titles will be Chinese, and unless you are Chinese, it is unlikely you will have downloaded these.
Yes, this is a perfect example of why I am asking is there a reason Google doesnt produce a list of apps monthly, daily, whatever, to keep us up to date on recently pulled apps. Otherwise we wouldnt know we have a rogue app till after the damage is done. we can run scans, etc, but we dont know if it really found everything.

Ive known of those 50+ apps back in March. Today, theres about 10+ additional apps that just got pulled, and again, we didnt hear of the pulled apps from Google, instead we have to stumble across comments about the ten or more newly yanked apps, still not sure if we have a copy imstalled from the markeet.

The thing is, theres sites for top 10 best apps, sites that alerts us of new apps, but can not locate a centralized source dedicated to listing suspicious or pulled apps.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-21-2011, 02:56 AM