FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old

Default Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-01-2009, 04:15 AM

My set up for this mod is MAC OS 10.5.6 DellEFI 1.2a5 BT ON USB LS OFF. Bluetooth hardware: BCM2046.

The problem I am trying to solve with bluetooth has been the inability to turn it off - checkbox greyed out in bluetooth system preferences pane, and no ability to turn off BT in the menu bar.

This mod allows you to turn bluetooth on/off in the preferences or by using the icon in the menu bar. And I think obtain more consistent BT pairings. Sleep works with BT toggled on or off. Restart after sleep is still problematic. I hoped this would have been solved but unfortunately not. :cry:

Note: in the BIOS BT should be ON and USB Legacy Support OFF.

Good luck with your hacking........please don't blame me for trying to help you if things go badly.

This mod is for users of OSX 10.5.6 ONLY. BACKUP YOUR INFO.PLIST FILE FIRST!!

For this bluetooth mod, you will need to work in Terminal. Don't try this if you are not familiar with terminal shells and processes. You will be working in an editor in the terminal, and should be familiar with it's functionality.

It was easier for me to do by logging in as root:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

In 10.5.6 search for these lines, which you will edit (see red bold integers):

<key>Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3 7A</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCICo ntroller</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIControlle r</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>ClassicMustNotSeize</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>33301</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>1452</integer>
</dict>

The idProduct decimal integer and the idVendor decimal integer must be changed to correspond with your machine's hardware.

To find this information, go to the apple menu, select "about this mac" and then select "more info". In the left pane, select "Hardware - USB". Click the "BCM2046 USB Device" on the upper right pane. In the right lower pane will be listed the heximal identifiers for your Product and Vendor IDs. Note these. You will need to convert these to decimal integers for the mod above. My machine example: Product ID = 0x02b0 converted = 688 | Vendor ID = 0x413c converted = 16700.

Make the changes and save the work. Exit Terminal.

Trash the Extensions.mkext file (path = your hardrive-system-library). Then reboot.

Enjoy the new functionality.

Other thoughts: I don't really think that by turning off BT (or WiFi for that matter) in the OS software that I am turning off the functions in the BIOS. The cards are still on and transmitting I think. Others more experienced than I could perhaps comment on that and discuss it's significance. I hope this gets us a little farther along with our bluetooth issues.

"Ride in a Window"
Dell Mini 9 Aspen White | BIOS A05 | Mac OSX 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | Meklort's Touchpad Driver | Direct Runcore Install Method | 64 GB Runcore SSD | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB SD | Bluetooth: [enabled] | Bluetooth Terminal Mod | USB Legacy Mode: [disabled] | 1.3 MP Webcam | Life is Good
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-15-2009, 11:42 AM

I have had this problem with two phones and the Mini 9. I'll definitely be looking into this once I decide I'm awake enough.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Hussainx, your tutorial was spot-on perfect... Finally, my Mini 9 allows me to toggle Bluetooth off and on. Thank you!

Randy
  (#4) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Hussainx, your tutorial was spot-on perfect... Finally, my Mini 9 allows me to toggle Bluetooth off and on. Thank you!

Randy
Worked perfect for me as well. Thanks Hussainx
  (#5) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 06:34 PM

any chances this might make it into a futre DELLEFI? This is so cool!
  (#6) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 07:24 PM

At first it didn't work for me, I was running the script from a sD card. I then manually did it with PICO/Nano from the shell. No work either.
I then did it as a single user "-s".
Nope. Then I tried the script again from my desktop. Voila, It works. I can now disable and enable bluetooth from the top menu bar. It is no longer greyed out.

Thanks.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 08:01 PM

fantastic, thanks! at first it took me a little while to remember I'd disabled Bluetooth in Windows, but once I got the Bluetooth enabled again, worked flawlessly.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM

This works perfectly and I can now succesfully connect to my iPhone tethering. Many thanks.
  (#9) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks View Post
This works perfectly and I can now succesfully connect to my iPhone tethering. Many thanks.
Can you test if you can still tether after putting your mini to sleep and waking up again? I use an external usb bt adapter and it works great with 10.5.7 and iphone 3.0b5 ... until I put the mini to sleep. After waking from sleep my bt mouse reconnects, but the option for connecting to my iphone is greyed out. Wondering if the internal module behaves any different.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malone46844 View Post
Can you test if you can still tether after putting your mini to sleep and waking up again? I use an external usb bt adapter and it works great with 10.5.7 and iphone 3.0b5 ... until I put the mini to sleep. After waking from sleep my bt mouse reconnects, but the option for connecting to my iphone is greyed out. Wondering if the internal module behaves any different.
I can report the same behaviour with internal alas, at least as far as tethering iphone goes, don't have a BT mouse to test.

does it work if you remove the BT module before sleep and put it back in after?