Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old

Default how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-19-2008, 03:45 PM

those of you with 16 gb ssd / 1 gb ram / windows xp mini9's... are you experiencing any of the brief system pauses associated with some of the older MLC based SSDs? how is the overall performance? how long does it take to resume from hibernation? to boot?

thanks,
tom
  (#2) Old

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-19-2008, 06:05 PM

Its perfect for me, when I first started it up, the setup was a bit slow but once you get past that, its really fast to boot up and can load programs and perform tasks pretty quickly. I upgraded the RAM today to the 2GB so I'll see how much of a difference that makes.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-19-2008, 06:19 PM

It will be interesting to compare times against other UMPCs, especially the eeePC.

Asus boasts a 5 seconds boot time for the eeePC but if you visit YouTube there are a number of videos showing times between 20 and 27 seconds, some taking even longer! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA3xzNrEjL4)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-21-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
those of you with 16 gb ssd / 1 gb ram / windows xp mini9's... are you experiencing any of the brief system pauses associated with some of the older MLC based SSDs? how is the overall performance? how long does it take to resume from hibernation? to boot?
thats a good question, i should get mine on the 23rd so i can't answer all those questions since i haven't received mine yet, but as usual i've been snooping around and found some test scores and other good info. the pre-installed version of xp that dell puts on these mini 9's is compressed, in turn its decreasing the write speeds by almost half and those pauses are caused by the 7mb/s write speeds and 14mb/s write speeds when writing to the pagefile.

numbers are typical read/write in MB/s
the 4 and 8 gb sticks are intel sticks and rated for 38/10 but testing at 31/7(with compressed OS).
the 16 gb sticks are STEC's and rated for 85/25 and testing at 78/14 (with compressed OS).

after installing a fresh uncompressed version of xp the 16gb STEC SSD speed changed to 77/20. yeah thats right, the read speed actually decreased slightly because its faster to read compressed but slower to write it.

i'm going to grab a 2gb stick of ram for mine for $25.00 and turn off the pagefile after reinstalling a fresh copy of xp pro.

Quote:
It will be interesting to compare times against other UMPCs, especially the eeePC.

Asus boasts a 5 seconds boot time for the eeePC but if you visit YouTube there are a number of videos showing times between 20 and 27 seconds, some taking even longer! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA3xzNrEjL4)
either way, in terms of boot, loading programs or files should be reasonably decent on the mini 9 given the read speed of the 16gb ssd, testing at nearly twice the speed of the SSD's used in the eee's. although the SSD's used in the eee's have faster write speeds.
Asus eee 900 gets 44/27 and the eee 901 gets 34/32.

about the various boot speeds on the eeepc's. you're most likely seeing older versus newer model configurations. if i remember right, the older eeepc's used two seperate SSD's, the OS is installed on a smaller Single-Level Cell drive(4gb) and the second drive was a Multi-Level Cell drive(i think it was 12gb in size).
While SLC's have great speeds they have only half the storage density of MLC's and SLC memory is also a lot more expensive then MLC is.
so the eeepc's that you see booting faster and slower are for that reason i suspect.

p.s. i just checked, it was the earlier model eeepc's and here is a quick quote from a wiki on eeepc's.
Quote:
There is also a third version of the original Asus EEE 900, referred to as the Asus EEE 900 16G. This version comes without the faster built-in SSD cards but only a 16 GB SSD in expansion bay
which is the reason for Asus being able to cut the price on the newer ones. kind of sneaky if you ask me, providing their eeePc's with a repuation for ultra fast boot times and then cutting cost by removing the SLC nand and not saying it will boot slower now.
don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of asus motherboards and i'm not bashing them. i just think its kinda sneaky of em.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-25-2008, 12:58 AM

I dont want to be negative but the stalls are killing me... i thinking it is a combination of the first in first out cpu and the slow HD...

i really wanted this thing to be more capable
  (#6) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62
I dont want to be negative but the stalls are killing me... i thinking it is a combination of the first in first out cpu and the slow HD...

i really wanted this thing to be more capable

Interesting. Can you describe the stalls? This is the first Im hearing of this. Is anyone else having this problem?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwild
Is anyone else having this problem?
I've been using mine for about 2 hours yet, haven't noticed any. Maybe the steps to improve performance caused some trouble?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-26-2008, 05:15 PM

i've been using mine for a couple days, haven't tweaked any settings yet, but i have noticed an occasional hiccup, but it doesn't happen consistently enough to be annoying. i'm not doing anything too demanding with my mini though, and i think i will be able to live with it's performance. i am considering upgrading to 2GB.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-28-2008, 03:54 PM

Hi all, my first post as I still await my Mini in the mail!

For those having slowdowns with XP, do some searching as to what the eeepc users have been modifying to deal with the various types of SSD's. Eliminating the page file, uncompressing drive, installing an nlite version of XP with only the necessities, and one that I think will really help out - removing the timestamp function for NTFS drives. This is a simple DWORD value change in the registry, google it up!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: how is the performance of the 16gb ssd? - 09-29-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatillo
For those having slowdowns with XP, do some searching as to what the eeepc users have been modifying to deal with the various types of SSD's. Eliminating the page file, uncompressing drive, installing an nlite version of XP with only the necessities, and one that I think will really help out - removing the timestamp function for NTFS drives. This is a simple DWORD value change in the registry, google it up!
I'd advise the total opposite. The 'tweaks' which have helped people with other SSDs have introduced slowness and stalls on the 16gb STEC drive in the Mini. As it comes from Dell, or with a clean install of XP, there are no stalls at all. The stalls are introduced by adding software that runs in the background mainly. Keep in mind that it's a netbook and don't ask too much of it, and it runs like a champ.