General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#31) Old

Default 04-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfL View Post
sorry if this seems obvious but im brand new to this

when you say external enclosure you mean an external usb hard drive NOT a second usb flash drive correct?

if so what should be on this drive? blank?

also from what i take it we are to remove the intenral HD? if so how would i even go about doing that
thanks
Hi, basically you will probably want to use the Internal HDD already in your mini to run Mac OSX - so yo remove it (instructions below) & place it in a USB Hard Drive Caddy/Enclosure - follow the instructions to install & make sure you include the KEXT files - make sure it all boots & reboots okay, then you can put the HDD inside the Dell Mini.

To remove your HDD, 1st disconnect power & battery, then open up the Netbook & *carefully* turn it over, you should see a row of 3 screws - 1 in the middle back panel just down from where the battery goes & 2 towards the left & right. (these screws hold the keyboard in place)

next use something to prod through the middle hole just enough to lift the keyboard up slightly - you might want to turn the netbook over at this stage, grab the keyboard at the rear & wiggle it slightly (it's held in place by 2 clips on left & right (just needs a wiggle & pull) *DON'T PULL KEYBOARD OFF COMPLETELY* - tilt the keyboard from the rear over the front of the netbook (careful of the ribbon cable)

Now you should be able to see the Internal HDD caddy - this is held in by one screw and then slides to the left away from the connector, once free of the connector you can lift it up - hey presto, 1 internal HDD

you will probably need to remove it from that caddy before you can put it into a USB caddy, but then you should be able do the install.

1x more thing, when your netbook boots up make sure that the boot sequence is CD then USB & removable media & HDD last - HDD might move back to the top after a few boots (I never really found out why, it's a little quirk of the netbook bios)

That should get you started - if you want to keep anything on that HDD, I suggest you back it up before you do any installation - once in the external HDD enclosure/caddy, it should be plug'n'play in any other machine

that's it, the rest is upto you - make sure you read that post on page 2 on install (it should be highlighted)

Cheers!
  (#32) Old

Smile 04-10-2010, 12:17 AM

thanks alot, that was very helpful, ive just plugged it into my imac, so hopefully the rest goes smoothly
  (#33) Old

Default 04-16-2010, 09:50 PM

okay so i'm almost there..i finally get to the white screen with the "dell laptop running osx" picture where the apple logo is on a normal mac, but then after loading a "no" symbol appears...any help would be great...if possible maybe a list of what kexts i should and shouldnt have, i think thats it
  (#34) Old

Default 04-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolitare View Post
Hi, basically you will probably want to use the Internal HDD already in your mini to run Mac OSX - so yo remove it (instructions below) & place it in a USB Hard Drive Caddy/Enclosure - follow the instructions to install & make sure you include the KEXT files - make sure it all boots & reboots okay, then you can put the HDD inside the Dell Mini.

To remove your HDD, 1st disconnect power & battery, then open up the Netbook & *carefully* turn it over, you should see a row of 3 screws - 1 in the middle back panel just down from where the battery goes & 2 towards the left & right. (these screws hold the keyboard in place)

next use something to prod through the middle hole just enough to lift the keyboard up slightly - you might want to turn the netbook over at this stage, grab the keyboard at the rear & wiggle it slightly (it's held in place by 2 clips on left & right (just needs a wiggle & pull) *DON'T PULL KEYBOARD OFF COMPLETELY* - tilt the keyboard from the rear over the front of the netbook (careful of the ribbon cable)

Now you should be able to see the Internal HDD caddy - this is held in by one screw and then slides to the left away from the connector, once free of the connector you can lift it up - hey presto, 1 internal HDD

you will probably need to remove it from that caddy before you can put it into a USB caddy, but then you should be able do the install.

1x more thing, when your netbook boots up make sure that the boot sequence is CD then USB & removable media & HDD last - HDD might move back to the top after a few boots (I never really found out why, it's a little quirk of the netbook bios)

That should get you started - if you want to keep anything on that HDD, I suggest you back it up before you do any installation - once in the external HDD enclosure/caddy, it should be plug'n'play in any other machine

that's it, the rest is upto you - make sure you read that post on page 2 on install (it should be highlighted)

Cheers!
I've been reading this thread to get mine installed but I need some clarity. Do I need to take the Harddrive out to get it recognized in general or can I install to an external HDD and use that install to modify the install file? It's a few extra steps but I don't have the time/knowledge/expertise to confidently remove my internal, if I need to remove it in order to do it I am going to need to postpone this for a time when I have some more free time.
  (#35) Old

Default 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM

You don't need to remove the HDD but it was assumed that you want to install on that drive with an unmodified OSX Install DVD/Image. It also stops the Dell Mini 10 Bios flicking back to the internal drive after a few reboots (the bios changes back!)
  (#36) Old

Default 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolitare View Post
You don't need to remove the HDD but it was assumed that you want to install on that drive with an unmodified OSX Install DVD/Image. It also stops the Dell Mini 10 Bios flicking back to the internal drive after a few reboots (the bios changes back!)
Yeah, I ran into an error with the USB wake. It wouldn't boot up into Chameleon when I had it off, I think it may be because of the USB drive I was running it off of. When it did boot up I was able to partition my external and start installing but it screwed up and told me to restart every time after only a few minutes. I am assuming that is because the USB wake turned itself back on. I'm going to flash the bios today and put chameleon on a USB drive that is identical to the one with my install is on. I am going to try modifying the install USB with that kext to then install a second time onto my internal. Am I going about this the correct way or am I way off? I really want to avoid removing my HDD at any cost.
  (#37) Old

Default 04-24-2010, 03:14 PM

I have yesterday done the 10.6.3 v1.1 combo update - no alterations (running latest NB!) - update, reboot - all seams okay after a brief test and upgrade iPhone to firmware 4.0beta [For some reason doing the iPhone upgrade wouldn't work on a PC running iTunes, but it would on a mac/hackintosh]

Hope all is now clear - however sticking mac osx on a mini10[1010] is not straight forward if you don't have a mac to start with - but stick with it.
  (#38) Old

Default Dell Mini 1010 video driver - 04-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Hi again Zolitaire,

I've got SL running on my Mini 1010 (thanks for your help ). The main problem I can see is related to video in general.

I'd like to play some divx videos on mine, but up to now it's impossible (low FPS, stuttered video)

As I can see, you have successfully installed SL on your mini, but is your mini able to play plain divx files with certaing quality?

Thanks in advance,
  (#39) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Okay, so an update to my situation, success in installing OSX but I lost my Windows partition.

I used the two USB method and installed everything to an external harddrive, partitioned as GUID. I used the kext files that Zoltaire suggested and everything worked just fine. I then used an Ubuntu partition to format a partition on my internal drive as HFS+. I booted up off my external drive, formated the HFS+ drive as Journaled and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy all the blocks to the internal harddrive.

I really didn't think this would work but to my surprise it did. It's now in an MBR formatted partition so I can dualboot and I had a Linux and a Windows partition already.

Unfortunately I believe that GRUB got fudged when I installed Chameleon and I couldn't it to recognize Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I tried to use a Windows 7 Upgrade CD to fix this but I think that the Upgrade disk assumes that you have a bootloader on it already and wouldn't write because there was none to be found for Windows. I am going to get a retail version and try to do a clean install with that to get Windows back but I don't know if I am going to be able to boot into it consistently with Chameleon already there.

My question is, if I want to dual boot is there a different bootloader I am going to need to use or will Chameleon do fine? Does OSX being on an MBR formatted disk change things at all? Linux is not important to me so I'm not going to bother getting it back, I really just need Windows 7 back. Any suggestions?
  (#40) Old
Administrator

Default 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM

You can use Chameleon to boot Win7, or do what I do and install EasyBCD under Win7 and let it manage the boot process.

Steve