Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old

Default Streak randomly switching off / rebooting - 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Hi guys I've finally got my streak two days ago, but I am really disappointed. I planned to use it as a mobile phone. I love the screen, but my issue is that when carrying streak arround in the pocket of my jeans the phone restarts or turns off randomly
As a consequence I am unreachable :-(.
Anybody experienced that? Any solution for me ? I assume this is because power button gets pushed randomly and i have noted that even though the svreen is locked pushing of power switch activates turnoff menu on the screen that is probably again randomlyt touched and phone gets switched off
Is there a way to deactivate the button in screenlock mode ?

In fact I did factory reset just to make sure this is not consequence of some third party sw.... But that didn't help
  (#2) Old

Default 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dberky View Post
Hi guys I've finally got my streak two days ago, but I am really disappointed. I planned to use it as a mobile phone. I love the screen, but my issue is that when carrying streak arround in the pocket of my jeans the phone restarts or turns off randomly
As a consequence I am unreachable :-(.
Anybody experienced that? Any solution for me ? I assume this is because power button gets pushed randomly and i have noted that even though the svreen is locked pushing of power switch activates turnoff menu on the screen that is probably again randomlyt touched and phone gets switched off
Is there a way to deactivate the button in screenlock mode ?

In fact I did factory reset just to make sure this is not consequence of some third party sw.... But that didn't help
Not something I experienced, but you could always try the plastic case - it makes the power button deeper recessed and reduces the risk of accidental pressing.

...ps... how big are your jeans pockets! - I have no hope of fitting it in mine!
  (#3) Old

Default Dell Switching off - 08-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Looks like the answer is as follows that was found on the Dell Forum.
It appears that the battery or its contacts is not quite secure and the answer was to stick a small piece of card to the back of the battery. This should hold the battery in place and keep it in contact.
I had a similar problem after charging the battery overnight - possible expansion and disconnection of a contact. My unit is being replaced by Dell (who did not have a solution) and my replacement comes tomorrow.
So have a look at the Dell Mobile Device Forum under "Permanent full system crashes on new Dell Streak". Hope this helps.
  (#4) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 08-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Welcome to the forum itilley + dberky!

I am having problems with my Streak rebooting too, sometimes even the slightest drop it will make it turn off. I suspected it was something to do with the battery or back panel contacts inside. I will look into the card method

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Hello everyone. I had the exact same issue with my streak.
Definitively not bound to any accidental pressing of power button, since mine rebooted several times lying untouched on a flat surface .
It has been sent back to Dell on Friday. When I'll receive it back (or its replacement) I will try the battery trick if it happens again.
Thanks for the tip!
  (#6) Old

Default 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Mine has always done this. It regularly and often repeatedly reboots when plugged into the car charger. I normally see around 3 reboots per day and often a lockup when I have to remove the battery to reboot.
I'm just hoping the forthcoming operating system upgrade will resolve it. I too use my Streak as my phone, so thats why I've not seeked a repair or replacemenr yet.

Matt
Streak supplied 8 July 2010, direct from Dell.co.uk
  (#7) Old

Default 08-17-2010, 06:00 PM

I now no why streak switches off randomly. If I hold it in my left hand with the screen facing me and give it a sharp or even a light tap on to my right open hand the bottom right hand corner the power goes off straight away. Ive put it down to the battery moving slightly between the phone and the rear cover so I have put a very thin packers in all four corners of the battery facing the cover (they are like the two that are already there under the rear cover) and this seems to have cured the problem. Seems like a design problem to me. Anybody else have this problem or just me? (I did this 8 weeks ago and has been fine since then)
  (#8) Old

Default 08-18-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulha View Post
I now no why streak switches off randomly. If I hold it in my left hand with the screen facing me and give it a sharp or even a light tap on to my right open hand the bottom right hand corner the power goes off straight away. Ive put it down to the battery moving slightly between the phone and the rear cover so I have put a very thin packers in all four corners of the battery facing the cover (they are like the two that are already there under the rear cover) and this seems to have cured the problem. Seems like a design problem to me. Anybody else have this problem or just me? (I did this 8 weeks ago and has been fine since then)
Have the same issue, especially when wearing it in my pocket. Will try.
  (#9) Old

Default 08-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulha View Post
I've just tried this and my Streak powered off immediately. This might explain some of my issues, although I am very careful with the phone and it never knowingly gets knocked.
I've just put some folded paper on top of the battery and it has certainly stopped it powering off when doing your knock test.

Matt
Streak supplied 8 July 2010, direct from Dell.co.uk
  (#10) Old

Default 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanostreak View Post
Have the same issue, especially when wearing it in my pocket. Will try.
that fixed it!

Tags
restart, streak, switch off random