Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old

Default Wifi Proxy Settings - 09-06-2010, 03:49 AM

just wondering how or if there is any apps I can use to set up proxy setting for one of my wireless connection?

cheers
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Usually an app is not necessary for this. In most cases, you can set your browser to automatically discover the proxy settings. Proxy settings have nothing to do with WiFi in particular - do you perhaps mean something different? What problem are you seeing?

There are several add-ons for Firefox that claim to enhance its dealing with proxies - FoxyProxy seems to be the most popular. I move in and out of environments that use proxies and have rarely had a problem with them.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Usually an app is not necessary for this. In most cases, you can set your browser to automatically discover the proxy settings. Proxy settings have nothing to do with WiFi in particular - do you perhaps mean something different? What problem are you seeing?
thanks holmes for your reply. The reason I need to set up the proxy is because my University wireless network needs it. I can connect to the Uni Wireless ok, but inable for me to connect to the web, I need to set up the proxy for it too

ps. forgot to mention that this is for my Dell Streak
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 09-06-2010, 01:31 PM

I have moved this to the Streak section. Check your browser's settings to see if an "automatic" selection for proxy is available. Every browser I have used has one.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 09-06-2010, 11:27 PM

Unfortunately I don't think Android supports proxy settings natively.

However a umber of apps come up when searching for "proxy" on the 2.1 market..

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#6) Old

Default 09-07-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
Unfortunately I don't think Android supports proxy settings natively.

However a umber of apps come up when searching for "proxy" on the 2.1 market..
So....there are some apps that provides proxy settings?

I must try and do a search on the market then....
  (#7) Old

Default 09-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Some apps require your device to be rooted, which kind of defeats the purpose of using an app since it's just a glorified system config utility.

The firefox browser for mobile allegedly has its own proxy settings for web, but this is NOT the multiple 'fake firefox' browsers that appear in the Market, the only way to get the true firefox mobile app (it's currently alpha or beta) is to download it from mozilla's own website.

If you just need web access for now that's probably your best bet to try.

Some claim to have gotten a proxy to work over wifi by fiddling with a new APN and populating it, but that seems to be hit and miss. Common issue with Android and something there's many angry threads about on the official google and android dev sites.
  (#8) Old

Talking solved this issue - 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM

SOLVED the proxy authentication problem

You need to install Firefox on the device, if you haven't got a sim with a data package then you will have to do this manually.I have only done this with my sim installed.
Once this is installed you need to go to the Firefox menu and search addons for "proxy mobile" once this is installed it gives you options to add http, socks and ssl proxy details that your tech team will know. Once this is installed when you go on the internet and you are connected to your wireless you will be shown the usual login box it asks to remember the password I would do this. internet works and all apps are working. Why they haven't written this into the settings of this dell machine or others I have no idea. #Majorfail and #happychap