Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Fingerprint Scanner Mod (Updated) Now with USB HUB and Fingerprint reader disassembly - 06-06-2009, 02:36 PM

FINGERPRINT MOD IS COMPLETE
17 JUN 2009
Completed Photos of login on PAGE 2

After searching to see if anyone has done a fingerprint scanner mod I ended up order ing the parts to give it a try.

I am planing on doing the GPS, fingerprint and usb hub mod to it and installing Mac OS X. I will post up pictures of how it goes.

I ended up getting these to try doing the mods:

"Canmore GT-730F(L) GPS" Not worth the hassle for me!!!

"Eikon Digital Privacy Manager (USB fingerprint reader)"

"Targus ACH103US USB 2.0 4-Port Bend-A-Hub With Mini USB Adapter" Received in. See below.

I already have a 64Gb SSD Runcorp module and 2Gb Ram module ready for install.

I am currently waiting for those to arrive to me here in Afghanistan. I will keep you posted as to the progress

SEE BELOW FOR DISASSEMBLY OF MY COMPONENTS
  (#2) Old

Default 06-07-2009, 12:49 AM

we eagerly await your results!!!!
  (#3) Old

Default Usb hub disassembly - 06-15-2009, 11:46 AM

----UPDATE----

I have received the Targus Bend a Hub today in the mail and decided to take it apart to examine the insides to see if it will work. Here is my progress.

First you need to remove the 6 screws holding the bottom on. You will want a jewelers screwdriver, I used the screwdriver that came with my Runcore. Just make sure if you use that one to press firmly so you do not strip the screws. Not a big deal because you will not need them but it makes it a lot easier with the correct phillips.

Once you have the screws removed this is what you will see:

Pull off the top to see this:

You will need to push the plastic piece off to get to the swivel usb connector.

Once you have the case removed from the circuit card it will look like this. I have you can see where the usb connections are. Note: the Blue wire to the swivel connector is the same as the white wires on the others.

This is the underside.

This is next to my Runcore 64Gb SSD to show you how small it is.

Obsidian Black Mini 9
64Gb RunCore SSD running OS X 10.5.7 / 2Gb RAM / 1.3MP camera / Bluetooth / WLAN / Fingerprint Scanner / USB Hub
Original 16Gb SSD running Win XP
  (#4) Old

Default USB Fingerprint Scanner Disassembly - 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM

----UPDATE----

I Received the Fingerprint scanner today and decided to take it apart to see if it will work. It looks very promising as you can see by the photos I took.

Here is what it originally looked like. I was weary that it may bee too big inside.

The top and bottom pieces are glued together. With a small flat head screwdriver and some luck you may be able to get the top and bottom off without snapping the plastic. I was not lucky. I started to pry at the cable end and ended up snapping the top piece in two at about the stop of the black slide. You can see this in the photo.

You can see how small the circuit is after removing the housing. That is my Runcore 64Gb SSd in the photo for comparison.

And this is the bottom of the card.

Obsidian Black Mini 9
64Gb RunCore SSD running OS X 10.5.7 / 2Gb RAM / 1.3MP camera / Bluetooth / WLAN / Fingerprint Scanner / USB Hub
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-15-2009, 12:31 PM

Very interesting to see how this progresses! Looks like an awesome mod!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#6) Old

Default 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM

This is the one thing that I wish my Vostro had ... a fingerprint reader. I've used tablet computers from Motion Computing that had one, and it's very nice to just run your thumb across it to log onto the tablet. Easier than trying to login with the stylis or onscreen keyboard.
  (#7) Old

Default Fingerprint Installation Part 1 - 06-15-2009, 05:00 PM

----UPDATE----

I started with the hard modification to the computer to install the fingerprint scanner. After following the instructions from dell's service manual I had to decide where to place it. I ended up placing it under the right side palm rest. I removed the aluminum foil from under the location as to not short out any of the components on the card.

Next I had to grind down the plastic posts as well as remove the inserts posts. I used a Dremil with a cuttoff wheel which worked out excelent for cutting throught the brass inserts. JUST BE CAREFUL AND TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!! This is what it looks like with the posts ground down.

Next I needed to create a slot for the scanner component of the card. I used a small drill and went by hand so as not to crack the case or ruin the coating on the other side. This actually went quick as it was a sharp drill going into plastic.

I now used a small set of files to fine tune the slot until the scanner just fit into it. I also removed some more of the foil and part of the metal tab where the circuit card would be resting on

This is how I plan on having the bluetooth adapter set back in place using some double-sided tape to hold it against the palm rest.

On the palm rest side I needed to create a bevel because the reader was still a little lower than I would like and it also creates a smooth entry for the finger to be read.

I will be doing the soldering another day because it is getting late here and I also want to put in the usb hub.

From the looks of it I will not be doing the GPS mod until I find a more reliable GPS or I work all the kinks out of the one I have. The current GPS looks like it will be able to fit over the fingerprint scanner and between the posts with some modifications to the GPS card. It will not work on the left side because of the SD card reader.

Obsidian Black Mini 9
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-15-2009, 05:22 PM

Dude.. I won't say what I think right now other than that's freaking awesome!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#9) Old

Default 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Very cool!

This looks alot like the fingerprint reader on my girlfriend's Vostro 1310(don't quote me on that model number).
  (#10) Old

Default 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM

You're doin a damn good job, keep it up!!! Looks great...