Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old

Default 11-11-2012, 04:39 AM

Is anyone successfully using a WWAN card with 10.6.8?
  (#12) Old

Default 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Thanks, Snow Leopard perfectly running on a 32GB RC. Thanks also to xtmesisx for useful guide on kernel installation (installer didn't work)

| Mini 9 | 32GB RunCore Pro IV | 2GB Kingston | Flybook external DVD-RW | SL 10.6.8 |
  (#13) Old

Default 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM

ok...help me out here guys...I had OSX on my kids dell mini years ago using my Mac and a different method. I am now following this guide to the letter (it's installing right now) but I am unclear on the kernel installation. Do I do it before or after the 10.6.8 update?
  (#14) Old

Default 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn4four View Post
ok...help me out here guys...I had OSX on my kids dell mini years ago using my Mac and a different method. I am now following this guide to the letter (it's installing right now) but I am unclear on the kernel installation. Do I do it before or after the 10.6.8 update?
Follow this to a "T" and you shall be rewarded.

Originally Posted by dchao
Got everything working including sleep and sound.

Here are the steps I took (from a fully working 10.6.7 DM9):

1) Repair Disk Permissions

2) Download nawcom's legacy kernel and SleepEnabler, unzip both files and put them in your root folder

3) You will also need Kext Helper b7

4) Run NetbookInstaller Special (xxx2351)

5) Download and install 10.6.8 Combo Updater

6) When it is finished, let it reboot (do not run the NBI special again)

7) NBI special will run automatically (takes about 10 min) after reboot, and then you will get the reboot loop

8) Press shift key to get to the Chameleon prompt and type "recovery=yes"

9) Boot into safe mode, and rename legacy_kernel in your root directory and change owner

Code:
sudo mv /legacy_kernel-10.6.8 /mach_kernel
sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel
(if you want to, mark the file hidden with "SetFile -a V" or "chflags hidden")
10) Reboot again, and this time boot loop will be gone, we are in OS X, sound is working, but sleep is not. Now we need to fix the sleep crash.

11) Run Kext Helper and drop SleepEnabler.kext into its open window or icon

12) Finger crossed. Restart your Dell Mini the last time.

Dell Mini 9 : OS X 10.6.8 : BIOS A05
32GB STEC SSD : 2GB RAM
NBI Version : Latest
SpeedStep : [Enabled]
USB Legacy support : [Disabled]
  (#15) Old

Default 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eligos View Post
Follow this to a "T" and you shall be rewarded.

Originally Posted by dchao
Got everything working including sleep and sound.

Here are the steps I took (from a fully working 10.6.7 DM9):

1) Repair Disk Permissions

2) Download nawcom's legacy kernel and SleepEnabler, unzip both files and put them in your root folder

3) You will also need Kext Helper b7

4) Run NetbookInstaller Special (xxx2351)

5) Download and install 10.6.8 Combo Updater

6) When it is finished, let it reboot (do not run the NBI special again)

7) NBI special will run automatically (takes about 10 min) after reboot, and then you will get the reboot loop

8) Press shift key to get to the Chameleon prompt and type "recovery=yes"

9) Boot into safe mode, and rename legacy_kernel in your root directory and change owner

Code:
sudo mv /legacy_kernel-10.6.8 /mach_kernel
(if you want to, mark the file hidden with "SetFile -a V" or "chflags hidden")
10) Reboot again, and this time boot loop will be gone, we are in OS X, sound is working, but sleep is not. Now we need to fix the sleep crash.

11) Run Kext Helper and drop SleepEnabler.kext into its open window or icon

12) Finger crossed. Restart your Dell Mini the last time.
Thank You for the Reply!!! I have tried this method now several times and I must be doing something wrong with the copying of the files to the "root" directory. Everything goes well....I get it out of boot loop and into recovery fine after the combo update, but when I try to run the script it can't find the files. when you say root directory you mean just the main hard drive of the os. I see that there is a hidden root user account that you can enable in the user account settings. should I be copying them to the Home folder as that user?

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Ok...I think I got it! I found the directions for enabling root access and now I see the folders I need. Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

I actually used this guide and it gave script for the renaming of the old kernel. Everything is working perfect on 10.6.8!

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Sorry...forgot I can't post links. It was titled "tlhaas at blogspot "untitled number 5"
  (#16) Old

Default 10.6.8 Users: REAL WORLD Reported Battery Life? - 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Hello 10.6.8 users! Thank you for your interesting feedback on your triumphs and troubles going from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8, etc...

What I am seeking: Your REAL WORLD battery indicators, etc.
I am running a stock battery, and get 4+ real hours of usage, including streaming, itunes, slingbox, browsing, and playing mp4 movies from an SD card. After full charge, my battery indicator always shows ~4 hours in its monitor, and I feel it is quite accurate.

Those of you who are at 10.6.8: What does your battery indicator show as time remaining after you fully recharge your DM9/10.6.8?
And just to compare apples to apples, please indicate if you are using stock or extended battery, and maybe which BIOS you are using (though shouldnt this be in your signature?).
Thank You, as I still appreciate my Mini 9, and one last upgrade isnt completely out of the question, but battery life is more important...

Dell Mini 9; Crucial 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM; BT & 1.3MP Cam
OSX 10.6.7 | BIOS A05 | NBI 20100616212351 | USB BIOS Legacy Support: Disabled | Bluetooth: Enabled
  (#17) Old

Default 01-06-2013, 12:34 AM

thanks for the zip zeitung. downloading now for an upgrade tomorrow.

my mini 9's been unused for a while on 10.5.8, have a use for it again now but need it on snow leopard.

-----
meant to ask - can anyone confirm if i'll be able to get 2 finger scroll working? assuming successful instal up to 10.6.8 that is.

UK Mini 9 / 16G SSD / 2G RAM / Bluetooth / Windows 10

Last edited by rtrt; 01-06-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: 2 finger scroll query
  (#18) Old

Default 01-06-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrt View Post
meant to ask - can anyone confirm if i'll be able to get 2 finger scroll working? assuming successful instal up to 10.6.8 that is.
Yes, and more. There will be an additional preference panel under "Other"
  (#19) Old

Default Update - 03-08-2013, 10:38 PM

UPDATE

I found a new kernel made for the Atom CPU and it works great. Speed step works, sleep works (no need for those additional kexts), the only thing that remains the same is that you have to apply the sound patch for the built-in mic to work. Bluetooth toggle still does not work.

The kernel and all the other stuff is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1356918/Dell...0.6.8_ver2.zip

Here is a new step by step tutorial, ignore the one on the first page (except for other details not connected to the install - like disabling hibernation post install...etc):

1. Install 10.6.3 from a USB patched with netbook boot maker.

2. Run software update (first install the "other" updates, restart between as required and at the end the 10.6.8)

3. Will restart automatically after the 10.6.8, when it boots you will get the NBI logo, just wait until it is finished, than you wont be able to boot normally anymore

4. Hold shift at boot and type "recovery=yes"

5. Replace the kernel with the one in the zip withe these commands in the Terminal:

sudo mv /pathtofolderwithkernel/mach_kernel_atom /mach kernel

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel

5. Run NetbookInstaller 20100616212351 (with default settings)

6. Restart

7. Now everything should be operational (except the MIC) - install remaining updates via software update (i did them one by one, it failed if i tried all at once...)

8. Apply sound patch if you need it

For more details see first tutorial but --> IMPORTANT ---> with this kernel the model identifier is correct, showing "Inspiron 910" so you do not have to modify the machine.plist inside the "UpdateExtra.app". So when applying the sound patch, ignore the part modifying the machine.plist...

The only problem I encountered was that the 10.6.8 update failed on the first try, but then I rebooted and the second time it finished ok.

If you have any problems or need more detailed instructions please reply...

Dell Mini 9 | A07 BIOS | 16GB Runcore | 2 GB RAM | MAC OS X 10.6.8 |

Last edited by zeitung; 03-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.
  (#20) Old

Default 03-10-2013, 04:07 AM

The steps in the first post on this thread worked for me! The legacy kernel pkg didn't work, so I had to manually copy over the kernel as written in the post about that (also in the post above, but I used the previously linked kernel, not this newer one).

My mini9 is running BIOS A05. The steps didn't originally work for me when I was running bios A06- the mini9 couldn't properly boot after I installed 10.6.8 and rebooted using 'recovery=yes', it would stall and bounce between a blue loading screen and the snow leopard purple desktop- but once I downgraded to bios A05, the steps worked flawlessly and I now have a fully working 10.6.8 mini9. I've gotta say, it's probably the most stable setup I've had with OSX since originally getting the mini9 to use with OSX back in 2009.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped make this process possible! Thanks for the tutorial and I encourage anyone who was on the fence about doing the update to consider giving it a go!

Last edited by trees002; 03-10-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: changed 'kernel A05' to 'BIOS A05'- my bad ;)