Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default Kernel Error Installing Snow Leopard - 02-11-2011, 11:44 PM

I followed mercdrew's instructions for installing Mac OS X on a Dell Mini (the USB method). Here's what I'm using:

Dell Mini 9, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 1 GB USB Flash Drive (for NBI), 250GB External Hard Drive (for the OS X iso)

The installation loaded up fine and I clicked install, the progress bar was moving and it said there was 28 minutes left in the installation. For some reason, the installation stopped and my screen went blank, so I restarted the netbook, thinking I could try to start the installation again. I booted from the USB drive, and got the error "Unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Please use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find Mach_Kernel."

Now my Mini has no OS, does anyone know of a fix for this problem?
  (#2) Old

Default 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM

you have to figure out a way to reformat your drive. i've dealt with this very issue myself. it seems the failed install leaves files on your drive that interfere with the chameleon bootloader. so the solution is to reformat the drive.

you have to rebuild the partition scheme. so a simple reformatting may not be enough. delete the current partition, and format to fat32, or NTFS. you'll need to format again, obviously, once you get bac to the Mac installer.

as far as how to do this.. if you have an external DVD drive and a windows setup disc, you can use that; just start up the win install, reformat the drive with it, and quit it.

alternately, you can prep a Linux Live USB, and use GParted from it.

cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_11_11 View Post
I followed mercdrew's instructions for installing Mac OS X on a Dell Mini (the USB method). Here's what I'm using:

Dell Mini 9, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 1 GB USB Flash Drive (for NBI), 250GB External Hard Drive (for the OS X iso)

The installation loaded up fine and I clicked install, the progress bar was moving and it said there was 28 minutes left in the installation. For some reason, the installation stopped and my screen went blank, so I restarted the netbook, thinking I could try to start the installation again. I booted from the USB drive, and got the error "Unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Please use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find Mach_Kernel."

Now my Mini has no OS, does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#3) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
you have to figure out a way to reformat your drive. i've dealt with this very issue myself. it seems the failed install leaves files on your drive that interfere with the chameleon bootloader. so the solution is to reformat the drive.

you have to rebuild the partition scheme. so a simple reformatting may not be enough. delete the current partition, and format to fat32, or NTFS. you'll need to format again, obviously, once you get bac to the Mac installer.

as far as how to do this.. if you have an external DVD drive and a windows setup disc, you can use that; just start up the win install, reformat the drive with it, and quit it.

cheers.
My netbook originally had Windows XP, I have an installation disc, but alas, no external DVD drive. Is there another way to go about reformatting the drive?
  (#4) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_11_11 View Post
My netbook originally had Windows XP, I have an installation disc, but alas, no external DVD drive. Is there another way to go about reformatting the drive?
You stopped reading too soon.

Quote:
it's not too hard to prep linux live ...

Download the ISO here; (you can use a different distro if you'd like but this will do fine)
Ubuntu Netbook

Click on "Show Me" on section two on that page for instructions on how to create the USB.

GL

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#5) Old

Default hope for success - 03-29-2014, 07:58 PM

hello, (i know this is an old thread) but...

I don't know why this has caused me so MUCH frustration??? but it has...

trying to get my mini 910 up with os x SL 10.6.3 retail disc with windows
(no mac)... got new 32 gig king spec ssd formmatted to fat32 with GParted

but still keep getting the error "Unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Please use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find Mach_Kernel."????

mini will not boot into osx ??? any suggestions or help would be greatly
appreciated!!! I really do NOT want to be defeated by this mini !