Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old

Default Uninstall Explorer? - 08-31-2010, 01:52 PM

I don't seem to be able to get rid of Explorer on XP. It is certainly on my computer but is not listed in the programs when I open the add or remove programs tab on the control panel. Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?
  (#2) Old

Default 09-08-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorf View Post
I don't seem to be able to get rid of Explorer on XP. It is certainly on my computer but is not listed in the programs when I open the add or remove programs tab on the control panel. Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?
Which explorer do you have; 7 or 8. If it is 7 I am pretty sure it was part of the original OS and its files are hidden. If it is a upgrade to 8 then it should be in the add/remove section.
If it is part of the original OS then it is still possible to get rid of it; but it requires some work. It's easier to just pretend its not there. Every now and then I have had a reason to use it even though I rarely use it unless I have no other choice. It takes up little space and the work to get rid of it is not worth the trouble. fdalbor

This was part of Microsofts effort to make explorer removable (I think they had to); but not easily done. Figuring people would find it easier to leave it alone.

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64