Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-23-2008, 05:47 AM

Before you say, we are limited to 600 lines, the mini was not meant for hd video, yadda yadda yadda... :mrgreen:

:arrow: I do not want to re-encode the files just to play on the Mini9

Anyone have any configurations that may have worked? AVCore, CCCP, codecs? Media players from WM11, VLC Player, Zoom player? enabling/disabling certain settings?

What works and what doesn't? As of right now a system running 2GB ram does not make a difference. Will increasing the video memory help? (If and when Dell deciedes to un-cap the video 64mb limit) Is our CPU limiting the performance? If so why does the MSI Wind have no problems playing HD 720p video?

I have tried several .mkv 720P hd files only to have choppy video and audio sync issues running CCCP under WM11.

Suggestions...

Mini9: 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, 16GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, WinXP Home
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Yeah, don't think it will ever be completely smooth w/the Atom. With k-lite codec pack and Vista Ultimate installed was still very jerky and the audio seemed to lose synch on the I910 streaming HD from another computer. Wasn't the LAN connection either as yet another computer was able to play the HD stream from LAN just fine...

(#3) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-23-2008, 02:00 PM

I think you might be asking a bit more from this machine than it's prepared to give.

I can understand not wanting to have to convert stuff though. It's time consuming and the files are not necessarily something you'll keep.

Admittedly not the pinnacle of video reproduction, I ripped all of our stuff to fairly small (700mb-1gb) DivX files specifically for use in our portables.
On the kind of screens we're dealing with they look fantastic.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-23-2008, 03:36 PM

It could be the processor but I am sure it is not the Intel GMA 950 because I have a Mac Mini with that system (Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory) and it plays them perfectly on a 42 inch LCD tv. Not only that, it play 1080p content without a hiccup. My Mac Mini has a 2.0GHz core duo which may be where your problem lies. I know that my old 1.7 GHz P4 wouldn't play 720p video. SO maybe it is the single core atom that is the problem.

I haven't received my Mini 9 yet, but when I get it, I will be running Leopard on it and will let you know how it plays my mkv files.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Been doing some research :!:

:mrgreen:

Quote:
In the Atom chipset, Intel integrated the north and south bridges for the first time. The chipset incorporates interfaces with the PCI-Express, USB and SD memory cards as well as graphic processor supporting DirectX9. It is also capable of decoding 1080i and 720p HD videos.
According to :http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...080403/149992/

Here is a demo on the MSI Wind playing HD 720P
[youtube:1jvpyhgv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFzoZUecdo[/youtube:1jvpyhgv]

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the Dell Mini9 to the MSI Wind, the difference lies in the shared video ram up to 244MB (depending on how much system ram is installed, it recently got a BIOS update to overcome that hurdle), as the Mini9 is limited to 64MB. Now the question is how much difference could it really be?

So what could it be? hmmm, the search continutes...

Mini9: 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, 16GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, WinXP Home
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-24-2008, 09:28 PM

The thing is, the MINI9 is perfectly capable of playing back 720P video, the biggest limitation is the container.

So for example I had a hard time playing back an MKV, but WMV-HD played fine.

In the video that's posted, the Wind is playing back a WMV-HD, which the MINI9 is also capable of doing, but is the wind capable of playing back MKV?

I actually have an Aspire One with the 120GB hard drive and a bunch of DVD5 images on the hard drive.
  (#7) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-25-2008, 01:34 AM

Stunned.

Makes one hope for a driver update.
Of all the drivers the video driver is probably the one that needs the most attention on the Mini 9.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-26-2008, 11:03 PM

I was able to play an x264 .mkv 720p video smoothly for about a minute and then it started skipping frames and eventually it would pause for seconds at a time. Since it was able to play smoothly for the first minute, this leads me to believe that it could be that the video codec (ffdshow with Media Player Classic) needs to be optimized to efficiently use the limited amount of video memory on the Mini 9, or maybe the video memory (64MB) is just not enough.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-26-2008, 11:48 PM

I remember reading somewhere (I think Toms Hardware) that running HD on the ATOM will be difficult because there is no hardware acceleration for video.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-27-2008, 04:22 AM

hm...has anyone tried using a codec other than ffdshow? such as the native matroska decoder?

and this might be a bit off topic, but is there a difference between the GMA965 driver offered by Dell, and the GMA965 driver from Intel's web site?