Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-23-2009, 07:37 PM

First of all, let me say that I'm very glad that I found this site. It's great to know that there's a (good) community for the Dell Mini .

Here's my situation. I bought my Mini on release day with Windows XP. I really wanted Ubuntu but, at the time, you couldn't purchase the Mini with Ubuntu AND a 16GB SSD... therefore I opted for the Windows XP install. Maybe I'm dumb and just didn't see the option for the 16GB SSD or something lol. Anyway, I would like to install Ubuntu on my Mini. I know how to make a bootable Ubuntu Live flash drive. My question is, has anyone had driver issues with Intrepid Ibex? I've heard that, for the most part, everything works out of the box. I have, however, heard rumors that wireless drivers can be a pain to get/configure if they don't "work out of the box" for you. I'm mainly looking for someone that's already done it so that I can find out, once and for all, if the wireless drivers work out of the box.

My second question is: Has anyone gotten the "Dell Ubuntu" restore CD to boot properly from a flash drive? I've read tons of topics/pages about it and have yet to find anyone that's done so.

Thanks so much for your help guys!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-23-2009, 07:43 PM

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 from the Ubuntu ISO with no problems other than the small tweak to turn the sound on. Everything you want to know (and likely more,) is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DellMini9/Intrepid . I'm on my fourth Ubuntu release install and the Intrepid / Mini 9 install was by far the easiest of the bunch. It just works.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-23-2009, 08:52 PM

That sounds great! Thank for the information and that link! I've got my thumb drive ready. Just backing up some stuff then I'll be installing 8.10. I'm quite excited.

Another concern that I have; In the past I've not had much success with Ubuntu on laptops (or any linux distro for that matter). My issue has always been with wireless drives/range. I ran Ubuntu 7.10 on my XPS M1530 for quite a while. The signal from my commonly used access points degraded terribly in Ubuntu. In my bedroom (on XP or Vista) I could access my wireless with pretty good signal. On Ubuntu, however, I could not. Have any of you guys experienced this with Ubuntu on the Mini?

EDIT: I just finished installing Intrepid Ibex and wow. It boots way faster than XP did. Everything seems to work fine thus far (except for sound. I'll be fixing that in a second)!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-24-2009, 04:49 AM

So? What's the verdict?

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#5) Old

Send a message via ICQ to niw_uk1964 Send a message via MSN to niw_uk1964
Default Re: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM

Last night I installed 8.10 on my mini9, It was easy and straightforward. I created a bootable usb flash disk using usb-creator on my existing desktop Ubuntu machine. Booted the mini from that and did a manual partitioning of the SSD following the instructions on here:

http://www.ubuntumini.com/

It's a brilliant website by the way with excellent walkthroughs.

Apart from the aforementioned sound issue I had no issues at all - it was a breeze. :mrgreen:

2 cylinders is enough, but 3 is a fine compromise
www.twpdracing.com
www.twpd.co.uk
Dell Mini-9, Runcore 32GB ssd, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM

So far so good. I've started experiencing the dreaded 8.10 static sound issue today. Working on fixing that now. I think I might have it under control already. Thanks for all the help guys!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-26-2009, 07:17 PM

I also bought my Dell Mini 9 with XP installed just because I needed XP for a couple of work related items. Other than that, I run Ubuntu 99.9% of the time.
I installed Intrepid on the day that I got the machine, just creating a Live USB stick and booting from that. I had a couple of snags on the install, but nothing major. Usually I boot into the live desktop and then install from there, but the installer hung at a couple of spots. When I booted again and then just went straight to intall(no live desktop) the install worked flawlessly.

After getting the system installed and updated, I did the sound fix and everything works great. . . except for the card reader. I cannot get the reader to recognize Memory Sticks at all. In fact, when I plug a stick into the read(with an adapter, thank you) the system does nothing. Running dmesg after I insert the stick shows nothing. I am hoping to get a fix for this soon, as I have a lot of Memory Sticks!

Other than that, I am really impressed with Intrepid on this machine and I am thoughly impressed with the power of this little guy!

Take care,
RMFlagg
  (#8) Old

Send a message via ICQ to niw_uk1964 Send a message via MSN to niw_uk1964
Default Re: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex - 01-26-2009, 11:22 PM

My machine would not recognise SDHC cards until they were formatted in another machine.

2 cylinders is enough, but 3 is a fine compromise
www.twpdracing.com
www.twpd.co.uk
Dell Mini-9, Runcore 32GB ssd, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 8.10