Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endGame
hm...has anyone tried using a codec other than ffdshow? such as the native matroska decoder?

and this might be a bit off topic, but is there a difference between the GMA965 driver offered by Dell, and the GMA965 driver from Intel's web site?
Same thing.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-27-2008, 06:17 PM

My own shameless plug :idea:

Hey guys here is a link directed at Dell the more people promote the idea for an updated video bios/driver the better the response will be!

http://www.ideastorm.com/article/sho...ore_system_ram

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DOOO EETTTT!

Mini9: 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, 16GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, WinXP Home
  (#13) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax
My own shameless plug :idea:

Hey guys here is a link directed at Dell the more people promote the idea for an updated video bios/driver the better the response will be!

http://www.ideastorm.com/article/sho...ore_system_ram

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DOOO EETTTT!

Every time I go there to vote the site is not accepting them because of maintenance.

That's allotta maintenance. :|

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 11-10-2008, 09:12 AM

sorry to bump the thread from the pits, but i feel like i should share my results now that i have my mini9.

after installing a clean copy of windows xp pro, completely turning off page file, installing all updates, ie7, wmp11, etc etc...i did notice that playing 720p mkv on wmp11 does slow the video down a bit...

...however, when i view it using the bundled mplayerc with the cccp decoder pack, it's actually smooth! i don't think it's a problem with the video memory size anymore...it's more of an issue with optimization.

and just so i'm clear, even on wmp11, i notice small frame skips once in a while, but i never had problem with it grinding to a halt.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax
Been doing some research :!:

:mrgreen:

Quote:
In the Atom chipset, Intel integrated the north and south bridges for the first time. The chipset incorporates interfaces with the PCI-Express, USB and SD memory cards as well as graphic processor supporting DirectX9. It is also capable of decoding 1080i and 720p HD videos.
According to :http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...080403/149992/

Here is a demo on the MSI Wind playing HD 720P
[youtube:2sa175y0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFzoZUecdo[/youtube:2sa175y0]

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the Dell Mini9 to the MSI Wind, the difference lies in the shared video ram up to 244MB (depending on how much system ram is installed, it recently got a BIOS update to overcome that hurdle), as the Mini9 is limited to 64MB. Now the question is how much difference could it really be?

So what could it be? hmmm, the search continutes...
HD video decoding is only supported by the Poulsbo chipset, which is not used in the Mini. We get the cheaper 945G/950 combo which does not include hardware video decoding.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 11-10-2008, 09:01 PM

I'm able to play 720p mkv files with no problem on my Dell mini.

I'm running XP Home and have 2gb of ram and am playing the files over the network.

The mkv files play fine in WMP 9 except the sound is very faint and I can't seem to fix that, so any help there would be appreciated.

However, with KM Player I can play them perfectly with smooth video and sound.

I have ac3 filter installed for sound and CoreAVC installed and set as the video decoder for mkv's.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 11-11-2008, 03:26 AM

CoreAVC is the most efficient h.264 software video decoder available, it's a must if you want to play high def h.264 video on the Mini. Microsoft's HD video codec, VC1, doesn't need so many resources.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxidermista
CoreAVC is the most efficient h.264 software video decoder available, it's a must if you want to play high def h.264 video on the Mini. Microsoft's HD video codec, VC1, doesn't need so many resources.
This is the answer. It's the first thing I did when I got my Mini9 (other than uninstall crap).

I installed:
ffdshow tryouts - UNCHECK h.264 support!
coreAVC
haali matroska splitter

720p office plays great. Going to try some 720p Planet Earth now, and then a 1080p video and cry.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 11-12-2008, 01:58 AM

Well I can report that I fixed my low sound issues by upping the gain in AC3 and so my 720p mkv files play flawlessly in WMP 9. I'm very happy. Processor usage seems to be around 70%.

I've tried playing 1080p mkv's but they're pretty stuttery to the point of being unwatchable and the processor is maxed out at 100%. If anyone comes up with a way of playing these I'd love to hear about it.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Anyone manage to play 720P HD .mkv files smoothly? - 02-06-2009, 11:49 PM

hey guys im on a mission to get this working right. ive tried installing coreavc, ac3, matsu file splitter and tried playing with mpc, and kmplayer. i made sure it is running off the coreavc filter but it still isnt completely smooth maybe 15-20fps and then every minute the video stops for a second or 2. ive tried playing off the stec and the sdcard with the stec being better. any other ideas to get this workign nice and smooth?

edit: just to update i am getting very acceptable playback using the codecs mentioned above and wmp10 for 2 or 3 minutes then it goes out of sync. very frustrating