General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Enable the battery/charge LED? - 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Not sure if this was covered elsewhere, but is it possible to enable that little battery/charge LED on the front left?

If so, how?

thanks.

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian, 2gb ram, 16gb hdd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, Mac OS X 10.5.5
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Enable the battery/charge LED? - 10-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Both LED's work exactly as they were intended by the manufacturer (which is to say, in an admittedly brain dead fashion). The first LED is on when the system is either on, or off and charging. The second blinks when the system is on and the battery is low. I don't think we could change this behavior without making a custom BIOS.

That being said, the white LED really bugs me, especially when I an using the system in low light. I just put a small piece of electrical tape over it; it looks pretty tidy if you cut it neatly, and you can still see that the light is on since it is so bright it shines out the hole for the other LED.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Enable the battery/charge LED? - 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscaria
Both LED's work exactly as they were intended by the manufacturer (which is to say, in an admittedly brain dead fashion). The first LED is on when the system is either on, or off and charging. The second blinks when the system is on and the battery is low.
Ahhhhhhhh... Ok, that makes sense now, to why I've never seen the 2nd LED light up - I've never used the Mini for more than 1 hour at a time with the battery, and always keep it on AC when not in use.

Yeah, I was assuming it was supposed to light up to indicate it was charging, lol. I guess not!

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian, 2gb ram, 16gb hdd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, Mac OS X 10.5.5
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Enable the battery/charge LED? - 10-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscaria
Both LED's work exactly as they were intended by the manufacturer (which is to say, in an admittedly brain dead fashion). The first LED is on when the system is either on, or off and charging. The second blinks when the system is on and the battery is low. I don't think we could change this behavior without making a custom BIOS.

That being said, the white LED really bugs me, especially when I an using the system in low light. I just put a small piece of electrical tape over it; it looks pretty tidy if you cut it neatly, and you can still see that the light is on since it is so bright it shines out the hole for the other LED.
Not sure if you noticed, but this is for Mac OS X installed on the mini, and thus he is trying to address those.
  (#5) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Enable the battery/charge LED? - 10-21-2008, 11:14 PM

The LED's are controlled by the BIOS. They function the same in OS X as they do in Linux or Windows.
I agree, the charge LED should be the one with a battery icon. It's very hard to tell if the machine is actually off if you power down while it's charging.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED